Shitbox Rally 2012 - Two Amigos!

Started by Evan Bottcher, September 17, 2011, 04:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

This post is on behalf of Giancarlo and Bruno at Maranello Pur Sang motors.  They've also got an entry in next years Shitbox Rally, and have acquired a lovely blue Alfetta GCL.  Looks ideal for a 4000km trek across outback australia, and to prove that even cheap Alfas aren't shitboxes...  (side note: you can imagine Sheldon and I are very happy with this outcome - two Alfettas in the team means lots of common spare parts!)

You can donate to the cancer council on their team fundraising page here: http://everydayhero.com.au/two_amigos
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Paul Gulliver

That Alfetta is a bit like me ( the view is  better from the back!!!)
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

TFJ100

Looks like you'll all be able to share spares if you all drive the same type of car!

Torben
Now -
2018 Giulia QV, Vesuvio Grey

Then -
10 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - black
08 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - silver
10 159 1.7T 6 sp man - red
03 156 GTA - black
01 GTV V6 (6 spd) - red
86 Sprint - white
90 75 Twinspark - red
89 75 Twinspark - red
80 Sud Ti - beige

Evan Bottcher

Here's a dodgy-looking pair of Amigos.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

MD

This has to be a cardboard cut out an Alfetta. A real Alfetta has two large rust holes at the base of the rear windows minimum. It's what keeps the fuel vapours vented and prevents driver intoxication from petrol sniffing as you drive along.  ;D

On the other hand, these two amigos should never have to worry about running out of petrol. With outfits like that, they could always stick-up the next car coming along for some 95 octane and get away with it... :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

dfrye

Having just done 4659km in the past 2 weeks in an old shitbox Alfa 90, including the strezleki track to cameron corner, I can say there are a few little details that the alfetta type cars need for this sort of action.

1. If fuel injected, cage the fuel pump and fuel lines - they are very vulnerable. A good dose of mud at decent speed will bend the fuel pump bracket and have the lot hanging down just waiting for a rock to rip the line. I had to replace this line a couple of times. In hindsight, I would put some mesh over that whole assembly under the drivers side rear door.
2. There seem to be all these air vents at the back of the cabin (on the 90 at least) - they seem to work in reverse on dust and suck dirt into the cabin. In hindsight, I would have run a bead of silicon around the back window and in the boot.
3. Ride height is obviously king. the springs on the 75/90 have an outside diameter (155mm) that matches some 4wds, and you can get poly spacers to give extra ride height, if you can be bothered with lengthened brake lines, wheel alignment etc. I figured it would be cheaper and easier to just go a bit slow.
4. Electrical connectors dont like having the sh*t shaken out of them. The elec window switch wires came free, and the amphenol connectors on the injectors tend to jiggle loose.
5. Run lower pressures in tyres that are just high enough that they don't bulge - 27 -30 psi

Overall though, the car ran like a champ.

//dean

GoldCLoverLeaf

An Alfa 90 on the strezleki track, you sir are a nutcase, i love it!

Craig_m67

.. that picture right there what it's all about - brilliant !!  ;D
What more can you tell us about that trip ?

I was tempted to take the Duetto from Melb. to Brissie via Uluru. 
'tis a long way - ran out of time. It does looks sealed (i even checked google maps) - just not a lot of servos... one day perhaps
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

dfrye

Craig_m67, what else I can tell you is that firstly it was a hoot, secondly, it is possible to get at least 10kg of mud stuck on the underside of an alfa if you try, and thirdly, it is also possible to smash all the aluminium ribs off the gearbox down the strezleki!

Seriously, if you shitbox rally a v6, you need to put something over the fuel lines near the pump or you will spend much of your trip as below. I realise now the new silicon fuel hoses are much less tolerant of stone impact than the original hard rubber braided ones.

Spirit of adventure award though goes to these priceless chaps from Victoria who were driving their cosmetically unrestored cars up to Tibboburra (warning: big file).

http://www.evercom.net.au/VID00036.MP4

If anyone is looking for a capital R Reliable (6700km in 3 weeks) 90 for the shitbox, we could probably work something out for this one as I'll sell it shortly. 90's tend to double in value when they are re-registered and this has a long rego though.

Craig_m67

Oh I'm so tempted.. You only live once right, and it's for a good cause
For those that have done it.. What did it cost, how much$ do you need to budget (fuel, repairs, accom, entry, fines, etc)

Found the (excellent) website and info.
Bugger over subscribed and closed to new entrants

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Evan Bottcher

Enough with the hijacking gents!  Here's the link to give money for cancer research: http://everydayhero.com.au/two_amigos
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV