WTB. Jano 6c 1500 single OHC engine block.

Started by McAnnik, November 03, 2011, 08:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McAnnik

Hi All, I'm not expecting much in the way of local response to this request, however, to those on the International BB's, there may be a possibility of someone knowing where an engine block can be located. The condition of the block is not an issue, anything can be repaired so whatever is available in any shape will most certainly be considered. Along with the block is also required both inlet and exhaust manifolds. Location of any or all components will assist a well respected older Alfisti in completing an engine overhaul this side of 2013 instead of the other side 2020.The rebuild is happening in the UK so shipping from Europe would be a cinch [if someone has the bits to sell]. It is possible that trades could be arranged as there is a large amount of Jano Alfa parts available that are excess to needs. Contact can be made to myself via PM. With thanks in advance,......Regards......Ian.

John Hanslow

Never seen one and not versed to answer that directly. :P

However after speaking to David Wright, who is a Registrar of Pre WW2 Alfas in Australia, a few people have gone through the same dilema.

Apparently there is a block for single and twin cams.  Several attempts (six in all) were made to cast a block here without sucess for a famous Victorian car.

In the end, a gent in the club called Damian organised one to be sent from Italy which turned out ok. 8)
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Berlina74

Hi Ian,
You may be aware that there were two 6c,1750 blocks offered for sale at the recent Bonhams auction at Motorclassica on 23/10/11.
Item 74 was sold but item 76 consisting of block,cylinderhead, cam and cam cover was passed in.
I do not know if the 1750 block can be sleeved to make it a 1500cc unit.
I hope this information helps.
Gordon
1974 Berlina 2000A

McAnnik

Hi John and Gordon, many thanks for your input. I was aware of the unsuccessful casting attempts and the eventual importation of a spare block.In fact that block was supplied by the very person who now needs one himself, not thinking that he may well have needed one in the future  as he never intended buy a single cam car but one came up for grabs at auction [UK] and he held his hand up too long.  A block is likely to turn up eventually but it will take some searching. Gordon, I actually thought the items at Bonhams were sold so thanks for the tip,I'll pass that info on immediately. If someone is aware of the person who was selling, perhaps they could pass the contact details on to me via PM. Thanks again fellas!       Cheers......Ian

McAnnik

Well fellow Alfisti,those of you who are avidly following this thread, we learn more each day don't we! I have mucked about with [proper] vintage cars for years and thought I could remember everything. This time I stuffed up a bit, not a big bit but enough to confuse the not so cogniscenti of Pre-WW11 Jano Alfa. The 6c 1500 Single OHC engine block is Fixed Head, totally different to a 1750 which is not,be it single cam or TOHC. Manifolds are also block specific and 1500 stuff will not bolt on to 1750.The 1500 block will bolt onto a 1750 crankcase[Now I'm getting confused!] Because of the fixed head configuration,this explains the immense difficulty in getting successful castings for the attempted replacement blocks for the famous "Little Alfa" single seater. The search for the "correct" components continues. My many thanks Gentlemen for your inputs. Any further comments,positive or otherwise regarding this excercise will be appreciated. Cheers.......Ian

terryf

In 2008 on the AlfaBB username Matsalleh76 had a single cam 6c1500 block for sale . The post was on the Limited Production (1910-1949) board . As he was trying to sell a block ,located in the UK ,from Malaysia there's a real chance he still has it. I pm'd him and he sounded completely genuine but you'd want someone to sight it first. He wanted 1000stg for it then . Good luck

ItalCarGuy

To add to that if it helps, I have a very trustworthy Alfa friend who lives/works in Thailand/Malaysia that you could contact to see if he could check it out.