No Brera in ARC

Started by alfarally, November 25, 2011, 09:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfarally

A Brera rally car in the ARC, wouldn't that be something?
Unfortunateley it won't happen.
I contacted CAMS recently regarding allowing the engine to be turned 90 degrees to facilitate a RWD set up (ARC is 2WD from 2012 on) and it was rejected. Seems like another short sighted set of rules yet again will stifle a great sport.
I thought a RWD V6 Brera would be a real drawcard, anyone agree?
Anyway isn't CAMS run by an Alfa lover??
Rob

colcol

CAMS want manufacturers to run 2 wheel drive setups, like they sell to the public to keep costs down, and not have to re- engineer cars to run setups that are not available on road cars, a Honda Civic looks like a pretty good little jigger to Rally, and i beleive you can run 4 wheel drive cars, but they won't be eligiable for points, and also there is a class for 4 wheel drive Toyota Kluger's, Ford Territory's Holden Captiva's and the like, the last 2 wheel drive car to win a race in rallysport in Australia was the best sounding rallycar, driven by Greg Carr, was the fabulous Alfa Romeo GTV-6
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

alfarally

I agree about Carr's Alfa what a beautiful thing.
It was actually while making an assesement on the cost/work involved in building a proper competive GTV6 for the current classic rally series that we realised a Brera under the new ARC 2WD rules would be the same cost/work but for a much higher profile series, hence the submission to CAMS.
To be clear 2WD will become the outright competition in the ARC but the current technical regulations certainly do nothing to encourage spectacular cars or make it cost effective for manufacturers. The current 2WD regulations are an oddball mix of PRC and World Rally/S2000 and require a seriously funded design/build for any car that is to be competive.
Unfortunately it will become a FWD series at the pointy end because a 4WD car can be converted to front or rear wheel drive but by not allowing the engine to be turned to the longitudinal postion this effectively means only FWD will actually result in the fastest set up. All the more frustrating when you realise the gearbox is totally free and you see the extent of the design elements allowed to be changed under the rules from the production car in other areas.
While a professionally designed rally car is going to be a great thing to drive regardless of the driven end, a RWD car is just more exciting to watch and it could be argued at the level of Australian rally, ie private non manufacturer teams, less expensive to build and run.
And then getting back to the GTV6, the classic rally car rules are also so badly written and policed that I would be very hesitant to commit the dollars and time build any car let alone an orphan like the Alfa. Much the pity really.
Incidentally does anyone know how many GTV6's compete in rally in OZ?

colcol

A rear wheel drive might be more exiting to drive or watch, but the reality is that the worlds gone front wheel drive, and thats what they want to race, even though they will use a hotted up motor and a purpose built Holinger 6 speed sequencial dog gear gear box, they are trying to get Manufacturers in volved, so that you don't get the comment, its got 500 horse power and four wheel drive, nothing like you buy off the showroom floor, with only 2 Manufacturers involved with the taxi racing V-8 Supercars, the others might get involved in Rallying, you can always hope, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

redalfaracing

I believe that Mazda are gettig in on it 2012, A deal has been done to run a Mazda2 with a 2 litre quad throttle bodied motor punted by an ex ARC champion team.
The Civic will not run next year as Honda are not selling the R spec any longer. But it will be replaced by a pair of suitably modified Jazz's. The Jazz will be single throttle bodied but with VTEC. Apparrently the rule allow only one or the other if not standard equip.

I know of 1 GTV6 rallied in Australia. Mine.
Unfortunatly not in ARC. Too rich for me.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

colcol

Well then, it looks like Mazda and Honda won't be racing in the V-8 Taxi series, seeing they are commiting to rallying, it looks like there will be more than 2 manufacturers in Rallying, unlike the duopoly 'Car of the Future Con', would be great to see an current model Alfa Romeo racing in Australia, but not in the knuckle draggers series, i have bitter memories of the Nissan winning in the rain at Bathurst, and 'Gentleman Jim' calling the louts a pack of ar5eh0les, Colin.