ALFA 75 TWIN SPARK ENGINE - SPECIAL TOOLS

Started by Henry Goodman, October 10, 2011, 08:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Goodman

Dear All.

Can anyone please advise where I may be able to purchase the following Alfa factory special tools please?

A.5.0232 This is the short and thin spanner used for the large retaining nut (55 mm I think) for the chain sprocket on the inlet camshaft on the 75 Twin spark engine. It has a square hole for fitting the socket drive on the tension wrench.
A.2.0423 This is the restraining tool that fits over the inlet sprocket and chain and thus used to keep the inlet camshaft from moving whilst using A.5.0232.

I have previously done this job with other tools and methods in order to set the cam timing but I much rather prefer to do this job with the inlet camshaft in situ and as advised by the factory. Also I try to avoid use of vice grips/shifters and removal and refitting of the camshaft. Its the third time this year I've had the cylinder head off and thought it about time I invested in the correct tools - if only I could find them.

Suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ric.

shiny_car

http://www.totallyalfa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.dspProductsByEngine&id=4

I have bought tools for my 3.0 from this guy in the UK; he makes them, so they are not original factory tools. Some people have reported the quality is not fantastic with some tools, but I've not had issues.

His communication isn't fantastic, and I had to chase up my order. But they arrived, about 4-5 weeks from ordering. I suspect he has to make some of them, rather than have them all in stock; dunno.

Anyway, it's a good option.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Henry Goodman

Hello Shiny Car.

Thank you for the speedy response. I checked out the site and yes they have the tools I'm after - very happy!
I've just gone ahead and placed an order for each of the tools so lets see how it goes. I'm hoping I'll have them within a week just in time to fine tune the TS engine for the upcoming Supersprint round at Wakefield.

I'll let you know how the purchase turns out.

Once again, thank you and The Forum, so much.

Cheers,

Ric.

bteoh

Ric,

Did you manage to get your tools ? I ordered some tools 2 weeks ago from the same place but never got any reply or mail after paying for them. Not even sure if they are on its way or not :(

Anyone have any experience from Totally Alfa - good or bad??

Cheers,
Brian

Henry Goodman

Hi Brian.

I'm still waiting as well. I ordered my tools (paid with Paypal) three weeks ago on the basis that this is a bona fide business (re-Shiny car) and according to their website, they ship over 90% of their orders within 3 days. I had hoped to use the tools to fine tune the cam timing on my 75 T/Spark engine in preparation for last weekend's Wakefield supersprint - alas I'm obviously not in the lucky 90% of deliveries.
The good news is that I finally got a response last week, having sent a couple of follow-up e-mails. I have also been provided with their phone number which is not listed on their website (send me a PM if you need it).
My guess is that this is a cottage business which manufactures to order and they spend most of their time in the workshop. I'm not necessarily expecting the same level of service one may be used to when sourcing stuff from other UK suppliers.
With the NSW AROCA Supersprint season now finished, I'm no longer in a hurry so can sit and wait. I'll very grateful when I do receive them as these Alfa special tools are as rare as rocking horse poo and I for one, am grateful someone in the world is having a go at reproducing these tools for the home Alfa mechanic like ourselves.

Cheers,

Ric. 

shiny_car

As I mentioned, my order took around 5-6 weeks to arrive. Be patient.

shiny_car

bteoh

I am still waiting for mine which I ordered on the 17th October . Communication quite poor and had to chase it up on several occasions. Last time he said the courier may have lost it and he'll send it again. So meanwhile, I'll just sit and wait. Hopefully I'll get it before Christmas but I won't hold my breath :)

shiny_car

Thanks for the update - useful to know. Basically, I won't advocate for him so strongly. Seems a little hit and miss and unreliable.

Henry Goodman

My tools (finally) arrived about a month ago after hassling the supplier for an update. The variator locking tool did not fit (wrong in three places) and the 55mm open spanners (I bought two) bent and slipped on the retaining nut with modest force. I've been in contact with the supplier (several e-mails) and only one response so far with no offer of a remedy. Subsequent follow-up e-mails have been met with deafening silence.

Ric.

bteoh

Ric,  Oh no.... Looks like the quality of tools may be a little suspect? I forked out a bit to get various tools and hopefully they will work otherwise it'll be a fairly expensive exercise :(  I just presumed they would be OEM quality ....... :(

shiny_car

The ones I bought are good. But yes, I have read that some are not so good (I eluded to this initially).

Sorry to hear the woes. It's good to have the feedback open for others to decide.