options on changing clutch master

Started by dehne, December 10, 2011, 06:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dehne

hi all
i have pulled the clutch master out of the 90 and im thinking of changing the way it bolts back in, so in the future instead of getting inside the car to undo the hex bolts im going to use nut and bolt system so all i have to do is undo the nut from inside the bonnet.
has anyone done this as i dont see why it wont work and it will make the task alot easier in the future if i have to replace it again
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Duk

How do you plan to keep the bolts captive inside the cabin?
The big question is: Is it really worth it? How often do you replace the clutch master cylinder in the same car? Once every 15 to 20 years maybe?

dehne

im going to spot weld them to a 1mm steel sheet cutout, it will be quicker to put it back in and in future for who ever has the car it will be easier, i think its worth the effort to do.
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

colcol

There is always a reason something is done like that on a car, usually so they can build it quicker, not always so they can service it easier, Dehne what are you planning to do?, put studs in, and put nuts on the end instead of bolts, you would need more room to feed in the slave cylinder, on a 33 or Alfasud the slave cylinder is held on by a snap ring, a simple idea, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

dehne

there is heaps of room for the 90, to do it this way, and im also thinking about the skinned knuckles that i will be saving.
so the plan is make a shim that will fit the inside that is sort of the shape of the master where it attatches to the fire wall, then i will drill 2 holes for the bolts to go through and then weld them to it, i will put a bead of silican to it so it holds in place place the master back in and put 2 nuts on it. seems a lot more difficult than it actually is.
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past