clutch pedal

Started by BradGTV, December 22, 2011, 11:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradGTV

in my 89 75 TS, the clutch pedal has no 'fluid' pressure and the clutch will not dis-engage. (only the spring loaded pressure of the pedal itself) will bleeding the clutch system fix this? (fluid resivour is full and air shouldnt get into the system) or does the clutch mastercylinder or clutch slave need replacing?
cheers, Brad (no experience with hydro clutches)
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

colcol

The easy way to find out is to bleed the slave cylinder to get the air out of it and see how long the stroke of the slave cylinder piston - pushrod is, look up the specs, if the stroke is ok then look at the clutch fork for bending, if stroke of slave cylinder is lacking, look for rebuild of 1st slave cylinder, if still no good, look at rebuild of master cylinder, do the easy fixes and checks first, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Air can be induced into the system due to the master cylinder running low on fluid, on a Alfasud or 33 the clutch master cylinder uses the fluid from the brake master cylinder, so when you run low on brake fluid, you loose the clutch before the brakes, which is not a bad idea, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Storm_X

If your lucky bleed the it clean and top it up with new fluid and may be ok. Or it could have a air leak in the line. Another thing i did was pull the slave off and pull it a part and give it a clean ( it was full or crap in it) and then put back on, work a charm.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"