HID conversion on Alfa 156

Started by ccaltabiano86, December 19, 2011, 10:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccaltabiano86

Hi Guys,
I just purchased a set of HID conversion kit for my 2001 156.
Ive tried to do a search on here to see if anyone has attempted a conversion but have not found anything. (maybe I aint looking hard enough) and only info said not to do it etc...
Anyways, I plan on installing the kit once it arrives. hopefully in the next few weeks, considering Christmas is around the corner and shipping for O/S will not work between the break.
Has anyone attempted the conversion? did it work out ok?
I have found heaps of sites with instructions, but no images of finished product or details.

Anyways,
will update this post once I have installed the kit.

Regards,
Chris
Finally bought an Alfa :)

and all the problems that come with it!

L4OMEO

Do a search in the technical section of the alfa156.net forum, plenty of related threads there.

Good luck, post some updates as you go.
Rory
2002 156 GTA

ANG156

make sure they fit good. I've seen a pair on another 156 and the globe just hangs there and not secured in place like factory. I personally would have upgraded all the globes with philips globes such as power2nite or even the white light equivalent

http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/v2/automotive/application.jsp?menu=2&id=12571

ccaltabiano86

Thanks for the  link to alfa156.net Rory. You just saved me a head ache... the bulbs I ordered were H7, but the 156 requires H7C to fit with the bulb caps. luckily my order had not been shipped yet so I have been able to change the bulb type and save myself time, money and disappointment.

Will keep you guys updated with progress.
Estimated delivery date is between the 3rd and 6th of Jan.

Regards,
Chris

ccaltabiano86

Hey guys,
I received my Xenon HID kit and Have installed it. Added some pictures of process, I dont have any pictures with lights on, because its still day light, and you cant really see them working.

Cool Jesus

Chris, whats the final thought? Thumbs up or down for the upgrade?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

ccaltabiano86

Not really been driving around at night, and to be fair I rarely ever drive at night, but did turn them on in the dark to see the difference and WOW there is a big difference. ;D

I have found they are a little harder to clip into place as the plastic surround is a little thicker then the standard H7 metal surround. but have patience and strong fingers and it will clip in.
They are a cheap Chinese make that cost me $49 for the kit, and not too sure about higher priced HID lights, but once they blink on, they take about 10 seconds to warm up to full brightness.

I figured for that price even if they only last half as long as my halogen did, I can always buy new globes for about $15 and keep them as spares in the car.
and its cheaper then $75-90 bulbs I usually buy.

Here is a really bad photo of the lights on, and of the light fitted in place.

Regards,
Chris

Cool Jesus

Sounds like its worth the small outlay then, especially if they go the distance considering the price of brand name units. I've also been eyeing off these upgrades, but have been apprehensive due to the lack of reviews such as this one. I've bought and installed dozens of unbranded DVD/GPS stereos and other various accessories from the suppliers of these HID lamps without any real fallback on functionality. Family and friends are amazed with the cost of the units considering brand name units are 5 times more expensive (minimum).

Just one final question. I think I may already now the answer, but what heat to they put out? I'm contemplating an upgrade on my daughters Ford Ka and I'd hate for the headlamp assembly to start melting away.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

ccaltabiano86

I have not had them on for long enough to really have them heat up, longeast drive I have doen at night was 20 minutes. but when I was testing them out of the car I did not notice any heat at all coming from the globes... but only had them on for a minute or two.

I do hope im not wrong... I dont want to melt my headlights either.
Will try test them this weekend and let you know if they do heat up.

Regards,
Chris

agent86

My understanding, and I am in the trade, is that HID headlights will run cooler than Halogen. H7 are particually prone to failure in halogen due to their small size and excessive heat build up, I have sold Narva, Philips and other makes and there is little difference in the time they take to fail, Subarus and now Taxi's have a high failure rate with halogen. A small tip is no make sure your lights are off when starting cos you may get a slight power surge.
Cheers
Agent 86
Current Alfa's/etc
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 Tropical Green
2003 BMW 320i Touring
Priors
1974 Piper Yellow Berlina 2000 
1970 Red Berlina 1750 won best Alfa sedan at 2007 Auto Italia ACT
1968 Burgundy Berlina Mk1
1970 Navy Berlina
1970 White Berlina
1968 White Berlina Mk1 full Webasto roof

Cool Jesus

That's what I thought, that the HID ran cooler. I just couldn't find any literature to confirm it, Thanks Maxwell. Chrus, after 20 minutes of running or even a few minutes as you said, I reckon would have been enough to notice any heat build up. I'm sure they will be OK, especially now with the tip of the surge from 86. I'm gonna start shopping around for set myself with this info. Good posting guys...
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS