Disipating Electrical Heat???

Started by Duk, December 29, 2011, 07:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

I'm making an injector current limiting resistor pack for my Adaptronic ECU installation into my 75.
It will have 4 (3 for a pairs injectors the 4th for the water injection solenoid valve) x 7 ohm resistors in it. Each resistor is rated at 50 watts. I'm calculate about 25 watts worth of power for each resistor. Mounted in free air there is obviously going to be no problem (finned alloy bodies) but I'd like to mount them on an aluminium plate, put a plastic box over them an fill the box with epoxy resin to keep moisture out and give the wiring heaps of extra strength.
So, are there any electrically cleaver people out there to say if this would work well for many years or am I just asking for trouble?

colcol

You can get aluminium mounts from, i think i have seen them at Jaycar, they are slick looking and have fins on them for heat dissipation and you can get heat transfer grease that you put between the electrical component and the aluminium mount to have maximum heat transfer, i know because i used the grease on my Alfa 33's ignition module, which is recommended, the grease is in a tube, it is white and costs about $10, its just another way of getting rid of heat, try not to put too much epoxy on them as you might create too much heat soak, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]