Car shipping - interstate Melb to Adelaide

Started by Ash Gordon, November 27, 2011, 09:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Gordon

HI,

WE are moving to Adelaide in the new year and need to sort out moving the 105 over.

Does any one have any suggestions on reputable transport companies?
So far the quotes vary drastically so it's hard to choose so hoping someone's experience might be useful on who do use or avoid.

Other option is to hire a trailer.

cheers Ash
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

dehne

now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Ash Gordon

dehne

now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

colcol

A PERMIT would be a better option, if its driveable, with a trailer you have to hire one and bring it back, but you can hire some trailers and leave them in the state where you deliver your car to, buts its a bit more expensive, although, get a price from a car transporter first, i wonder how train transport would stackup?, just a thought, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

johnnyc

ash, i used ceva logistics. i found them to be very good. they are also pretty big by the looks of things, so wont disappear overnight if the shit hits the fan.

Ash Gordon

Thanks - I have had a few quotes and asked our moving company who have suggested Toll. pretty competitive. :)

RobT

A bit late in the conversation but you could consider companies that transport caravans, boats etc? Sometimes have a car-space available for a good price.

mn1

I started by trying the classifieds in Unigue and Just cars and then rang Shannons. I was doing a Sydney-Melb, one-way. Prices varied from around $700ish from the majors to $400 from a one man band with a tilt tray and tandem trailor who would organise a group booking and deliver door to door. There are a number of small guys who do this run and aren't as strict on whether it runs or not or what goes in it..I had both issues - not sure about Adelaide. I didn't like the idea of storage in compounds for an unknown number of days or the premium for door to door so I started ringing trade guys I figured might need to do this sort of thing regularly but who weren't actually providing the service so I could get some independent advice. Only took 3 calls to find Neil at $400. Maybe the racing community has some contacts.

Ash Gordon

Ended up booking through the guys who are moving our household stuff with.

Toll Auto are picking the car up on Wed and delivering it to the door in Adelaide for $400.

Ash Gordon

Car has arrived safely in Adelaide with no additional damage !  ;D

Great service and prompt delivery , final cost was $460 door to door.