Lowering the 75 TS

Started by Ro75Guan, January 14, 2012, 02:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ro75Guan

Hi guys,

What's the most inexpensive way of lowering our car? If there is one..
Besides having to change the tortion bar can I adjust the existing one a few inches?
And what are my options for the rear springs and shocks?

Cheers.

nico

You can lower the front of the car for free as the existing torsion bars can be tuned. The back however, will need new springs.

NOTES: these are critical if you want the car to handle at all.

-Don't cut the rear springs.
-If you don't know how to adjust the torsion bar, get someone that dose.

aggie57

How much do you want to lower it?  That will get you better answers.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

dehne

with the front its easiest to lower it about 50mm, but you can do it with i think about 5-10 mm but thats heaps harder, with the back its best to get new springs, but you could cut them, but if it was for road use i would not, i did it on my track car then i put a strap on it so when the wheel is unloaded the spring does not fall out.
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

aggie57

Good info here (no need to reinvent wheel):

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/50993-lowering-gtv6.html

Info applies equally to the 75. Same chassis.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

GTVeloce

For the rear of the car, the cheapest decent springs I have found are from King Springs. They were $200 (about 2 years ago) and are an easy and safe improvement. They have a progressive spring rate.

The torsion bars are a pain to adjust and if you haven't done it before it is probably well worth getting someone else to do it. Probably take an expert 1 to 2 hours versus a day for your first time (assuming you get it right too!).

If you do wish to do it yourself, this is a very good page to learn from.

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/AlfaSuspension.htm

Good luck!
Julian

Ro75Guan

Thanks guys for your help. Will probably get someone to adjust the tortion bar, any suggestions who's the best person to go to I know Mark does it from Alfauto  haven't asked Monza motors how much they would charge.. I'll definitely check out those king springs

Cheers.

Ro75Guan

Hey what's the particular model  for king springs? Do they have one just for the 75 or do we use a model from another car?

Sheldon McIntosh

PACE also do rear springs, and you can order whatever tension you want.  And they're a club sponsor.  And they know everything there is to know about all Alfas.  http://www.startlocal.com.au/auto/caraudio/vic_melbourne/Pace_Engineering_A_R_797620.html

I got my springs from there, they can advise how low to go, and how stiff they need to be.

You are aware that lowering these cars by more than about an inch isn't really advisable on the road?  Will ruin handling, and bottom out everywhere?  Does look pretty good though, no argument there.

GTVeloce

From memory, King Springs do two lengths for the Alfetta and 75 - standard and stiffer or lower and stiffer. Not sure the part number for standard but lowered is KARL-05, which I'm guessing stands for King Alfa Romeo Lowered! I'm using 75 suspension in a GTV and the result is fantastic. I can't see any reason why it won't work in a 75. Combined with Bilsteins you can't go wrong.

MD

Everything is possible but you will regret it.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

dehne

This link takes you to a thread with pics of 90's me and my friends have, now the yellow one has been droped 50mm on the front and the rear springs cut.
the grey on has had front droped 50mm and kings on the back.
as for the other most have been droped 50mm and loweder springs as well.

there wheel sizes are all different to.
ranging from 15's to 17's
the yellow and grey both are 225/45/16 on them.

i will try to find some side on shots as well.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=4251.0
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's