75 TS WHEEL OFFSET

Started by Ro75Guan, January 18, 2012, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ro75Guan

Hey guys,

Can I get away with +35 offset rims on my 75 TS?
Has anyone done this or even wider?

scott.venables

What width? 

You could probably fit 0 offset wheels if they were narow enough ;D

Scott

Storm_X

The more they better i say, well not protruding out of the guard. close as possible.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Ro75Guan

I totally agree with you Storm_X I definitely want my 75 to look aggressive and for the wheel just to reach the flare guard will sure do so..

Ro75Guan

hey Scott,

Well I just found a set of old skool rims which are 16x7.5 with 20 offset well within the 30 recommended and if I can get it staggered it would be 16x7 front and 16x8 rear. At end of the day if I have to widen the 75's guards so be it I reckon it'll be worth it.

Storm_X

On my Giulietta the simmon wheels touch the guard lip with 25mm spacers.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

shiny_car

Quote from: Ro75Guan on January 18, 2012, 08:05:24 PM
Well I just found a set of old skool rims which are 16x7.5 with 20 offset well within the 30 recommended and if I can get it staggered it would be 16x7 front and 16x8 rear. At end of the day if I have to widen the 75's guards so be it I reckon it'll be worth it.

I've researched wheels thoroughly for my 75. In the end, I've gone with 18x8" wheels with +35mm offset, and will be fitting 225/35R18 tyres. This overall diameter is slightly bigger than the factory spec, but it should easily fit in the rear, but I expect slightly rub when the wheels are steering. There are two areas prone to rubbing:
1. the outer edge of the tyre of the outside turning wheel against the 'corner' pieces of the front bumper; that is, if steering/turning right, then the left tyre is likely to rub, and vice versa, and catch the inside edge of the bumper where it meets the front quarter panel; by cutting back that edge on the bumper, it should be oke
2. the outer edge of the tyre of the inside turning wheel against the wheel arch liner; that is, if steering/turning right, then the right tyre is likely to rub, and vice versa, and catch the plastic wheel arch liner; either modify the liner or remove it completely

Setting the caster can affect either, and may require some careful adjustment.

Hence, 7.5" wheels with +20mm offset is likely to cause probs, though could depend on the tyre size. This wheels would sit an additional 8~9mm 'outboard' compared with what I plan to fit, so I cannot foresee complete clearance when turning.

8" rears should fit with an offset as low as +25mm, safer to be +30mm. Depends on tyres too.

I know many people overlook roadworthy requirements and are comfortable with this, but I don't believe you can have staggered fitment on the 75 without breaching roadworthy. It is only allowed on vehicles that have staggered fitment from the factory. Just be mindful of this (it can impact on an insurance claim).

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Ro75Guan

Great info and advice Shiny_car really appreciate it.. I was relatively new to the whole offset thing and I thought I understood it but after some more research I now get it  :D it's quite simple to understand now so you were you're definitely right, if I had a +20 offset it would be too close to the guard so ideally +30 offset if I had 16"or 17"x7 and if anything wider like 17"or 18"x8or9 I'd have to increase the offset such +35 like yourself to reduce or more so stop it from rubbing on anything correct? so if you're putting 18's does that mean you have the turbo evo or IMSA kit? because you'd have heaps of room for bigger tyres due to the wider wheel arches.

Cheers.     

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: shiny_car on January 18, 2012, 09:52:27 PM
In the end, I've gone with 18x8" wheels with +35mm offset, and will be fitting 225/35R18 tyres.

18s!!!!  Bloody hell.  So I'm guessing your 75 is just going to be for show more than anything else?  (I'm just curious, not judging, I love the work you've been doing)

shiny_car

Quote from: Ro75Guan on January 18, 2012, 10:42:19 PMif I had a +20 offset it would be too close to the guard so ideally +30 offset if I had 16"or 17"x7 and if anything wider like 17"or 18"x8or9 I'd have to increase the offset such +35 like yourself to reduce or more so stop it from rubbing on anything correct?

Correct. Of course, if the wheels are too wide or the offset too high, they sit too far 'inboard', and can foul the suspension. Going over 8" wide at the front runs this risk.

Quoteso if you're putting 18's does that mean you have the turbo evo or IMSA kit? because you'd have heaps of room for bigger tyres due to the wider wheel arches.

No, plain old 3.0 75, but with TS bumpers and plan on a front lip spoiler. But I have deliberated long and hard over the Veloce kit (pretty much like the IMSA kits), but decided against it for reasons of material (fibreglass) and too over the top for my personal liking (pot calling the kettle black?!).

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on January 18, 2012, 11:04:56 PM
18s!!!!  Bloody hell.  So I'm guessing your 75 is just going to be for show more than anything else?  (I'm just curious, not judging, I love the work you've been doing)

Ha,ha, certainly not being built as a track car. ;)

But yes, I'm building it as a street car, but not a sensible daily-driver, and more of a weekender/show car......all in the fullness of time.  ::)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Beatle

I realise you are doing big weels for the look, but just be aware that mucking about with offset and rolling diameter can change the scrub radius.  This can have a detrimental effect on steering and handling, and spoil the overall experience by making the steeering 'pull' over every bump and pothole, plus make steering a chore (masked somewhat in the TS as it has PS). 
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd