alfa 75 consideration

Started by mickl, December 14, 2011, 10:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickl

I have just spoken with someone who has a 2.5l alfa 75 for sale. i do not know alot of what is being offered but it was being used daily until the "engine kept stopping" .......apparently it would cut out then after pulling up it could be restarted again and continue on for a few km before cutting out again. he thought it was an electrical problem?? The interior is good and the paint is ok but the car has been in the weather for a couple of years now and unregistered. Not so sure about rust...claims there is none??
The brake calipers will need overhaul I am told. He is looking for $750 which is not much money but am I letting myself in for a nightmare? The amount being asked seems pretty cheap,....maybe it would be worth it in spare parts alone. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Mickl

Sheldon McIntosh

These cars were galvanised at the factory, so rust is rarely a problem.  I've seen rusty ones, but not many, maybe 2%of the ones I've seen, and of them, very few with structural rust.  All panels are bolt on, any rust will be pretty evident.

The V6s in these are also pretty much bulletproof.  Nothing goes wrong with them internally, but the electricals can be a bit dodgy.  Sounds like this one has a faulty fuel pump relay, or fuel pump itself, or regulator.  Nothing major anyway, if the engine is running okay, even if briefly, then no major problem, these engines are renonwned for the 'V6 won't start' problem.

Brake calipers are easy to overhaul, as long as you know what you're doing you could do it yourself for under $100.  If you can take them off and send them to a shop, maybe budget $200.  The rear calipers are more difficult to take off, but no more difficult to overhaul.  The rear calipers will start to leak eventually....

$750 sounds about right for an average 2.5 75.  Unfortunately.  They're a pretty good car when they're working well, but they're not a great car.  They drive quite well, and the V6 sound is quite intoxicating.  If you drive the car, and feel the torque of the 2.5, and hear the howl, you will pay the $750, I'm warning you now.

Then there is always the drivetrain donuts to change, 2nd gear synchro will inevitably be gone, the headlining will be just about to fall down, the ARC will be blinking at you incessantly, it's an 80s car so the clearcoat will be breaking down, yadda yadda.

I think you'd struggle to get $750 worth in spare parts from a 2.5.  All the good parts are on 3.0s and TSs. 

All of the above is just my opinion, of course.

stustustu123

Wasn't aware the 75 was galvanised.  I thought the 164 was the first Alfa to be galvanised in an effort to change the reputation they had developed from previous models.   ???
2007 159 SW 2.4 JTDM
1993 164 Super
Past:
1994 164 Super (Blue)
1992 164Q (Black)
1989 164 (White)
1988 75 3.0 V6
1983 Sud Ti

mickl

Thanks for the detailed response Sheldon. I have decided to pass on the purchase. I think one old alfa is about as much as I can manage.
If anyone is interested in the car I could put you on to the owner
Regards
Mickl

dehne

hi there could you pm me the detailsa
thanks dehne
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

mickl

four90s

Dehne, don't do it. Get another 90 instead.

Steve
Adelaide
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)