147 Gta wiper link

Started by 155 lover, January 17, 2012, 10:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

155 lover

I went to lift up the wiper arm the other day to clean the windshield and heard a snap. The pivot in the link (under the black tray) seems to be broken. The motor is fine but I've read I need to replace the whole assembly.

After prestige quoted me 710 for the link and motor assembly I've found it for a 1/4 of the price on ebspares. Anyway has anyone ever fit one of these themselves? Doesn't look hard but id appreciate advice if anyone has ever done it before.

Thanks, daniel
79' Alfetta 2000
74' Spider
03' 147 GTA

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: colcol on January 17, 2012, 09:47:52 PM
Thank you Mr. BIX, again you have come up with a great illustration, looks like all you do is remove cover or boot as its called, that covers nut, remove nut, you may need a thin walled socket tool, jiggle wiper arm around and that should loosen it off splined shaft, but the trick will be to get a replacement wiper arm, if they are the same as a twin spark, then try a wrecker, if they are a GTA specfic part, they will be a bit harder to source, try for a new arm of an ebay site, Colin.

Colin, what ARE you talking about?  The original poster's wiper arm is perfectly fine, it's a part of the mechanism that DRIVES the arm that is the problem.  He's already FOUND the replacement part.  ::)

colcol

Whoops!, sorry i thought you were talking about the wiper arm link, not the link in the wiper assembly, assembly could be fixed, but you have another one, problem solved, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

155 lover

Thanks for the help guys.

Just received the part from EBSpares.co.uk. Arrived in about 4 or 5 working days.

I've just fitted it and found the cracked part - this is a pic of the new one, and the blue circle and arrow indicates the plastic link where it cracked.

For future reference, I think I paid about 178 GBP including postage to Adelaide. This worked out to around AUD$260 - much cheaper than the $710.00 quoted by prestige. It is an original Alfa part and was really easy to fit. If your wiper motor dies, or as in my case, the "link/pivot" cracks, then save yourself significant $ and buy and fit yourself. Judging from other posts, it looks like this is a common fault.
79' Alfetta 2000
74' Spider
03' 147 GTA

colcol

155 lover, great to see that you have solved your problem, [despite my help], the difference in prices is staggering, and its a wonder the dealers do any trade at all, i remember the days when my 33 was new and i was young and you would go to Alfa City in Melbourne and there would always be a few people buying parts, now you go to a dealer and you never see anyone buying spare parts, i wonder why?, thank you Ebay and internet, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]