Pet Hate

Started by MD, January 31, 2012, 07:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

Well. I am not really on a campaign to rid the world of bad spelling as such.I do my fair share.

My solitary gripe is protecting the name of our cars.

As much as the V8 Ford stereotype image involves knuckles dragging on the ground, you hardly ever see V8 Phords or Fordes spelt any other way than Ford. Funny enough it only has four letters of the alphabet too, or is that alfabet? I'm getting confused. .(Now that I have said that I am sure somebody will go digging )

Long live elfa, no, make that lfa.Stuff it,let's just bite the bullet and call it a Pheat.

Sanity is overrated ;D

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

colcol

Or what about the bloke at work that thought my car [156 JTS] was a Fiat, oh actually it is, but the badges say Alfa Romeo, he drives an AU Falcon...., then i said no its not a Fiat, he said is it a SAAB?, how hard can it be to read a badge that clearly states ALFA ROMEO, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Darryl

Quote from: Paul Bayly on February 04, 2012, 07:14:56 AM
'75' was chosen for an entirely valid reason.  If we extrapolate the use of the substituted 'Milano' locally, the commodore should be the Elizabeth, Falcon the Geelong !!!!!

I find it much more unfathomable that the Alfa 75, the 90 and the 164 series are all given the same chassis prefix.  Those in the know found the use of 101/105/116 a handy tool, then we end up with a 116-based car sharing numbers with a new-chassis FWD model......

I hate it when people say "very unique" and hate "much more unfathomable" slightly less :)

I think the "160" series is a problem created only by trying to group in radix 10 as this forum's sections do. It doesn't look like that's the way the Alfa series numbers work.. Looking at all 3 digits, the 75 and 90 are both 162 chassis and the 164, very sensibly, is .... a 164? There does seem to be something magic about the first digit but I can't figure out what the 1 vs 9 means (90x for sud derivatives/descendants, 916 GTV/spider, 920 Arna and 93x current fwd alfas)... Not sure if the 155 is really a 155, or what happened to other numbers in the 116...162 range...

oz3litre

Having learned Italian, having a wife who teaches it, two children who speak it, and after spending some time living there, mispronunciation of Italian names and words annoys me as well as mis-spelling. I will probably get howled down here, but "Dewcatti" is one that particularly gets to me. The trouble is that once people get these things in their head, many of them refuse to change. I once had a discussion on the Alfa Bulletin Board about this and the Americans, despite their strange English spelling and phrases, are actually much better at pronouncing words in the correct way for the language. It also annoys me that people who have a lovely Italian name feel they  have to Australianise it because Australians refuse to pronounce it properly, no matter how many times they are corrected.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

kartone

Moto Guzzy or Guilera for anyone ?
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

david sammartino

Heres a good one.... People who presume you know what a stage 1,2,3..... Kit is.
Lost count the amount of times ive been speaking to someone with a modified car, and asked them what mods it had, only to be told its got a stage whatever kit in it. Dont these people realise that a stage 1 kit from one company is a completely different thing from a stage 1 kit from another.
Most of the time i just cant be bothered going in to it so i just pretend i know what the heck theyre on about.
And thats not even mentioning why this sort of crowd feel the need to "stage" their modifications.

Oh, and dont get me started on their need to abbreviate everything.... Ca=cold air
Otrai=over the radiater air intake... Im sure youve all read many more on the net. Id say this is one of the worst, how long does it take to type!!

Alphatype

Ooo, come on!! whats wrong with my user name "alphatype" ha!ha!

Duk

Quote from: david sammartino on February 04, 2012, 08:01:00 PM
Heres a good one.... People who presume you know what a stage 1,2,3..... Kit is.
Lost count the amount of times ive been speaking to someone with a modified car, and asked them what mods it had, only to be told its got a stage whatever kit in it. Dont these people realise that a stage 1 kit from one company is a completely different thing from a stage 1 kit from another.
Most of the time i just cant be bothered going in to it so i just pretend i know what the heck theyre on about.
And thats not even mentioning why this sort of crowd feel the need to "stage" their modifications.

Agreed!
I came to the conclusion years ago that seller marketing their stuff as Stage whatever tend to do so for 1 or 2 reasons. Either they don't want to tell you how little they've done for how much they've charged for the puny results they've got. Or, their average customer aint real smartz wen it cumz to carz, so they dumb it down to level where they don't have to explain what a cable tie, tape and a bolt is......  :P

Quote from: david sammartino on February 04, 2012, 08:01:00 PMOh, and dont get me started on their need to abbreviate everything.... Ca=cold air
Otrai=over the radiater air intake... Im sure youve all read many more on the net. Id say this is one of the worst, how long does it take to type!!

I blame the ridiculous influx of 'Americanization' in this country. The Yank have an incessant love of acronyms and want to group things together like that.

kartone

duk, australians also do a pretty good job at butchering the english language
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV