Do I have a freaky battery?

Started by alfagtv58, February 14, 2012, 01:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

Last night I loaded up up the race car to take down to Hugh in preparation for PI Historics, it was parked after Sandown Historics in November last year, not touched since.  Turned the key and away she went.  I keep remembering a thread from ages ago where Doug Gould dispelled some old wives tales about batterys and saying that you can expect 3 years, after that you're on borrowed time (for those playing along at home, it's this thread http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=1672.0 ).

My car goes to half a dozen meetings a year, and does not get started in between, no trickle charger, no special treatment (just make sure isolation switch is off).  I have one of those small cheapish units (brand escapes me now, but it is an Oddessy copy) that I bought from Battery World in 2006!  6 years later......this battery seems to be a freak and just keeps on keeping on.

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Barry Edmunds

Phil

I think I'm a candidate for your freaky battery group. I have had one of the small sealed batteries (Pulse brand) in my daily driver Super since November 07 and it has been faultless so I guess that I, like you, am on borrowed time.
Barry

dehne

I also can join that group, I never changed the one in my 156 since I have owned at I got it in April 2006 and who knows when the last guy changed it,
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

colcol

I remember, shortly before the invention of electricity, when i was a kid, my dads FC Holden had a flat battery, and he was a bit skint, so we went down to Bob Jane in Preston, [still there!], bought the cheapest battery the had for $6, [1970], no special treatment, lasted 8 years, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Gary Pearce

Phil, now that you have dared to mention this, it can only mean that failure is probable, about the second week in March.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Neil Choi

I think I know a thing or two about those dry cell batteries.

Don't worry, I got a spare one for you.

Neil Choi

Quote from: Gary Pearce on February 14, 2012, 09:46:10 PM
Phil, now that you have dared to mention this, it can only mean that failure is probable, about the second week in March.

failure is probable imminent

Ray Pignataro

All the way through this thread Neil I kept thinking of you. Thankfully you have thrown your hat or is that dry cell into the ring.

alfagtv58

Quote from: Neil Choi on February 14, 2012, 09:56:45 PM
Quote from: Gary Pearce on February 14, 2012, 09:46:10 PM

failure is probable imminent

Gary, Neil - That thought had occurred to me too!!
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Neil Choi

Quote from: Ray Pignataro on February 14, 2012, 10:43:06 PM
All the way through this thread Neil I kept thinking of you. Thankfully you have thrown your hat or is that dry cell into the ring.

How wonderful people think of me for the wrong reasons!!!!!!!!

hmd

Neil,

I also think of you when people talk about throttle linkages  ;D

Gary Pearce

I think of Neil when I hear someone's son drives 3 secs faster with not much experience.
Oops is this a battery thread?
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

dehne

i think they are all doomed as after mentioning mine im having some very strange electrical issues
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Evan Bottcher

So in seriousness, how's the performance of the dry cell batteries in people's experience?  I was thinking of getting one for the Sud.  I've heard people say that they are good, retain charge for a long time (which would be good for the track car), but don't like being completely discharged.  What's the story?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

hmd

Evan,

All good in my experience.
Isolate the battery when car not in use, even when I forgot and drained it a few times I could still recharge them and get them back to normal.

All my experience is with the Odysey.