help with Twinspark 75 fuel lines

Started by Sam, March 04, 2012, 12:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Hi everyone

I have a 2ltr Alfetta that I've almost finished converting to run Megasquirt Fuel injection.

The old tank didn't have baffle plates or an 'In tank' pump so I installed a 75 twin spark fuel tank instead.
I was hoping connect it up with a pair of 75 Twin Spark fuel lines which I got from the wreckers.

Initially I was expecting traditional steel fuel lines, so when they handed them to me I was a liitle surprised to discover the following

1)   They are made of thin Nylon (?) with a brass barb either ends.
2)   They seem very flimsy (well to me anyway) considering that at least one is High Pressure.
3)   I'm told they run through the cabin, from the bottom of the back seat, under the carpet, under the driver's seat , all the way  up and out of the firewall.
4)   I assume either end needs a rubber hose to connect to the Fuel Tank and the fuel Rail.

This not quite what I expected so I need  some help from you 75 owners out there :-)

Q1. Are the nylon lines meant to be contained completely within the cabin (i.e. for protection).
It seems these are longer then the length of the cabin, but they seem too flimsy to protrude into the hot engine compartment or at the rear towards the fuel tank. (near exhaust)

Q2. On the engine side, where do they come out of the firewall?
Does anyone have any pictures or measurements as to where on the firewall the 75 has the lines coming out?  I would try to drill the holes in the same place.  (btw, they gave me rubber grommets to go with it)

Thanks in advance
Sam

VeeSix

Hello Sam

Yes they go from the tank to the engine compartment via the interior under the interior padding under the carpet along the drivers side, yes they protrude out at both ends and are then connected by regular fuel line to the next coinnection obviously clamping them

Off memory in the engine compartment they come out from around the area where the power steering rack connection to the steering ahaft is, i have never noticed any cracks etc from them protruding into the engine bay, they really seem tough up to the job  :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

GTVeloce

Hi Sam.

There is another way. When I installed EFi into my Alfetta GTV I used the original fuel line as the return line and bought a few metres of new fuel pipe. It wasn't too expensive from memory and I ran it directly alongside the original line. It was a fairly straight forward job and the pipe was solid but still pliable. You will need to be able to flare the ends though or get someone else to do it for you. I then used rubber hose at each end to connect to the 75TS fuel sender and the fuel rail.

Cheers
Julian

Sam

hi Guys,

thanks for your help.

Julian, your approach was my original thought too, but I couldn't find where to buy the fuel line and  get the ends flared.

I tried Enzed (in Tullamarine) but they couldn't help, I asked Bruno (Maranello motors) , he didn't know but suggested using the 75 fuel lines.

I'd like to avoid drilling holes in the body so I'll try going under the body as you said. Failing that I'll revert to Plan B (the 75 fuel lines).

Can please tell me where you got the fuel line from ? and what the solution was for flaring the ends

Thanks in advance

Sam

Darryl

You can buy it from lots of places on the web including evilbay sellers and EFI hardware. ebay also good/bad for a range of varying degrees of crappy flaring tools and cutters.... There's got to be somewhere local to you that can sell you the hardline. It also gets called "bundy tube" if you are googling or asking and its the same stuff used for brake hardline.

GTVeloce

Hi Sam

I don't remember where I got the line from sorry and it as back in WA. However, I was fortunate in that my father used to work in A/C refrig so he had the flaring tools/abilities but I'm sure you could get it done by lots of people.

The pipe came in a rolled up reel and I just started at one end and turned it by hand following the exact same path as the original pipe. I figured I couldn't get in trouble this way! Once I had it through to where I wanted it, I cut both ends so I had clean ends to work with and got Dad to flare them in situ. Whole job took about about an hour.

Cheers
Julian

Sam

just thought I'd let everyone know,
I got the hard 8mm fuel line from ABS brakes.
They also flared the ends to take rubber hoses and double flares and brass connectors too to joint the 3 peices (I couldn't do it all in one peice)

basically its just 8mm brake line.

Sam