Buying a 147

Started by Truth, November 12, 2007, 09:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth

Hi guys,

i am interested in buying a ALFA ROMEO 147 MY2002 Selespeed. I am just wondering if there are any problems with this model. I have heard that the selespeed actually causes alot of problems. Is this true? And are there any other problems that the 147 has? what should i look up for when buying a second hand 147?

Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

Truth

Is there anyone who can help me? I am still waiting for some answers on those questions!!

Thanks in advance!!

Your help will be greatly appreciated!!

Evan Bottcher

I think people's experiences of selespeed are mixed - certainly there are a number of reports of failures.  Unfortunately when the selespeed system has a failure it tends to leave you stranded on the side of the road, which is rather more annoying than a leaking power steering system or such like.

My 2000 156 Selespeed has had two failures related to gearbox.  The first was the input shaft bearing let go on the gearbox (not related to selespeed, just a less-than-common failure).  Unfortunately this allowed enough play to wreck one of the selespeed sensors with the result that the selespeed stopped working just before the gearbox did.  This was not the fault of selespeed itself in any way.

The second and much more common is that the electric pump that provides oil pressure to operate the system started to intermittently fail - this was around 70,000km.  When it fails to provide pressure the system shifts into neutral and will not allow you to drive.  Unfortunately it left my wife stranded on the citylink in peak hour traffic - oops!  A genuine replacement pump is quite expensive, so I sourced a changeover reconditioned pump for a lot less.  Touching wood, no problems since then.  I've seen a number of cars at my mechanic with the same problem.

There is one part which is quite expensive - the selespeed actuator - I've heard upwards of $3000, and have been advised that I should start saving because at some point it will fail.  I've since also heard that there are reconditioned units on the market now for much less so we shall see.  Eventually I guess as these cars get older market forces will determine how they are cared for?

So as regards selespeed - I personally still am a fan of the system despite the failure.  The mechanical failures in my car have not been the end of the earth (or my line of credit).  I would rather a full manual for spirited driving, but for around town the selespeed is effortless but still more involving than an auto.

I know of nothing specific about the MY2002 Alfa 147 - hopefully someone else will help?  I would also recommend you check out our sponsors page and ring and ask one of the repairers for their advice.  Damon Earwaker at Lance Dixon is usually very helpful with technical advice for club members.

All the best!  Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Scott Farquharson

The Selespeed on the early (pre 2000) 156's had problems with pumps and actuators but less so the later models and I guess the later 147's.  Reco pumps are certainly available now at much less than new.

The Selespeed is fantastic to use once you get used to it - the fun of a manual gearbox with the convienience of an automatic when needed.

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Anth73

Make sure services have been done by the book. Skipped oil changes or inferior oil can wear out the cams on the twin spark motor. On cams, the belts need to be changed at the apecified intervals, which I think is 36months/60,000km.

Selspeed comments have been covered earlier. By all means check with Damon at Lance Dixon.

Cheers,
Anth73
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV / 1982 GTV6 3L / 1965 Giulia Sprint GT project

Gone:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual / 2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon / 1973 2000 GTV (cut & shut) / Alfa 90 (for its engine mounts) / 1970 1750 GTV / 1966 GT Veloce (sacrificed so others may live on)