Does it really need a new cam belt?

Started by AndrewM, March 09, 2012, 09:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewM

My 2005 156 JTS 2.0 last had its cam belt changed in July 2008 (at 48000km). According to the current advice (ie 50000km or 3 years), the belt is ovedue for a change. However, I can't help but wonder if this is a bit of a waste since the car has only done only 20000 km since then. Any opinions about whether I should get this job done immediately, or am I safe to delay it a bit. Also interested in opinions about best place to get the work done (eastern side of Melb).
AndrewM -156 JTS 2.0 Wagon (first Alfa, still feeling a bit nervous)

wankski

yes. i can't be clearer than that. There is zero breathing room for the typo 932 4s...

Lance Dixon Doncaster. full cam belt kit and install ought be around $900

Brad M

I notice in your signature your JTS is the first Alfa you've owned, and you are nervous.

It's been 4 years ... Get your Cam Belt changed ASAP!

Don't let a broken Cam Belt and the cost of and engine rebuild ruin the start of your experience.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

colcol

Belts wear out by spinning around a few billion times, they also dry out and become brittle with time, the Alfa service bulletin states 50,000 kms or 3 years, or whichever comes first, as Joe says $900 at Lance Dixons in Doncaster or $3800 JTS motor on ebay plus Labor, the choice is yours, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

Delaying the cam belt change from the recommended maintenance schedule is fraught with danger!
Ebay and the wreckers are littered with TwinSparks and JTSs with bent valves which missed the regular maintenance - the decision to delay the replacement can only rest with the owner.

Saying that, my Twinspark made it through 4 years without the cambelt change: 11/8/05 (60,233kms) to 11/09/09 (93,721).
It was a nervous 4th year though, so the question needs to be asked - what price do you put on peace of mind for the sake of ~$1200?

colcol

My Brothers 147 twin spark did 65,000kms and TEN years before the cam belt was done on his, he hasn't seen as many ruined cars in wrecking yards as me, Andrew, try Monza Motors in Bayswater, Mauceri Motors in Clayton and Lance Dixon in Doncaster, they are all on your side of the hood, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

Quote from: colcol on March 09, 2012, 10:20:20 PM
My Brothers 147 twin spark did 65,000kms and TEN years before the cam belt was done on his

Was he trying to get his name into the Guiness Book of Records? That's a bit extreme I reckon.

Davidm1600

Having just had my belts done, I must admit a huge sense of relief knowing I have plenty of decent motoring ahead of me with my 156.  Like all who have commented, this is one of those must do service items.  The cost of not doing so is expensive, especially in comparison to having them done.

If you want to try and save a few dollars, you could purchase as I did from EB Spares in the UK, all the items you need to have this done.  Do include the water pump and make sure that the impellor is a metal one not plastic.  My mechanic got this confused, as I had bought the correct one (brown alloy impellor) from EB, but he thought I had bought a plastic one, and so advised against using it. Not having seen them on the bench at the time of service, I agreed for him to buy a metal one (Turin Imports), the cost being somewhat higher.  EB water pump 29 quid plus postage say 10-15 quid, vrs over $130 for the one from Turin. The delivery time from the UK less than a week.

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

I have never heard of a plastic impellar water pump for a 4 cylinder, but have heard of them for the V-6, not to say they don't exist, if the age of the water pump is unknown, then have it changed at the next cam belt change, and after that, have the water pump changed every 2nd cam belt change, that would work out at 100,000 or 6 years, when you have the cam belt out, the water pump is there just looking at you, its an extra  half hours work, if you don't change it and it fails during service, you will have to pay the labor costs for a cam belt service, as the cam belt has to be removed and put back to remove the pump, and worse too if the water pump seizes up, then it will grind the cam belt away or if it leaks, it will contaminate the cam belt causing early failure, which will lead to engine failure, i purchased a Quinton Hazelton brand water pump localy from european auto imports in Box Hill of ebay for about $88 delivered, Colin.

JAM87

Hi Andrew,

I must say.... these individuals who have posted in this thread know their stuff, i would follow these gentleman to the letter.

I recently purchased a 2001 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER V6 and had the cambelt done straight away, it was my first Alfa and was a risk i wasn't willing to take.

I delt with Hugh from MONZA motors and he was fantastic. In saying that i'm sure that every Alfa mechanic who sponsors the club will do a great job.
2001 Alfa Spider V6, 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2L V6, 2012 Abarth 500,

colcol

Hey Mr. Bix, my brother purchased his 147 from someone else that hadn't done the cambelt, i reckon he sold it because he thought it was about time it was done, brother drove it round for several weeks before Marranello Pur Sang did the cambelt, if it was me i would have trailored the 147 there, some people still don't get it, its not 10 years - 100,000kms, its 3 years 50,000kms, ask the Alfa mechanics that get cars on the back of a tow truck, with a failed cam belt, actually the cam belt usually doesn't break, the teeth strip off, Colin.

AndrewM

Thanks everyone - the voice of experience has spoken loud and clear. I contacted Mauceri Motors on Sat. and the car is booked in for timing belt, and whatever else is required. Knowing what I now know, the cost will be justified if only for peace of mind. In the meantime I will use the car very sparingly. A bit more bike commuting for me.
Just by the way: Has anyone tried to produce a more robust after market cam belt for these motors? There would seem to be a ready market.
AndrewM -156 JTS 2.0 Wagon (first Alfa, still feeling a bit nervous)

colcol

Hello Andrew, all the belt makers recomend the changing of their belts round about the same time, so no one yet has come up with a superior belt, i remember i first heard of cam belts about 40 years ago on twin cam Fiats and they had to be changed at about 36,000 miles or about 50,000 klms, that was 40 years ago, and they are not pumping out the power a 156 is, and these days you have 16 valves to run, not 8 like in the old days, when they are running the valves close to the pistons to get good squish and high compression, the motors are known as interference motors, that is, cam belt goes, and valves hit piston, non interference motors, with low performance, such as a Camry's only need the belt changed every 7 years or 100,000 klms, if you get the chance have a look at the cam belt assembly, sprockets and pulleys on a 156, and you will get how good a job the cam belt does, and how it must turn over billions of times, Colin.

Evan Bottcher

Definitely good to get it done.  I've seen multiple Alfa twin cams at Maranello Pur Sang which had bent valves due to belt breakage.  As Colin said, the belts usually don't actually break - the teeth strip off the belt.  One of the cars, a 147 if I recall correctly, had done less than 50,000km since the last belt change but over five years.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

tony8028

its a reasonable question and i can fully understand why you'd be wondering about the value of spending a grand on something that may not even 'need' to be done, but as the others have said, this is a non-negotiable when owning these cars.

Why alfa choose to run their engines using rubberbands, perhaps someone else can explain that to me!
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual