Alfa 90 - HVAC Control

Started by Beatle, April 01, 2012, 09:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

Is the ventilation control in a 90 operated by electrickery, vacuum, or cable?   Mine will blow onto the screen, but not out of the face vents.  I guess it could just be a dislodged duct?

It was funny get back into a transaxle.  I'd forgotten how long it's been (last cars were a 164 and GS).  I'd forgotten that:
1.  Brakes engage at bottom of stroke
2.  Clutch engages at top of stroke..... ;D
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

scott.venables

Hi Paul.  The HVAC system is basically the same as the 75 so from memory, the re-circ is controlled by an electric motor (you can hear it when the car isn't running), and the rest is cable.  I doubt you're problem is a dislodged duct, more likely some sort of breakage.  Does it blow out of any of the vents?

Scott 

Beatle

Thanks Scott.  It will blow to the screen, and turn off the screen when the dial is rotated, but nothing out of any face vents.  I'll go looking for a dislodged cable/busted plastic.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

scott.venables

Does the face/screen/feet dial feel like it's doing anything when you turn it?

Stuart Thomson

My vents were all clogged up with leaves.  When was the last time your's was mobile?

Sounds like you've still got a twin plate clutch in the car, sounds just like the Shitbox, are you getting ready for 2103??

Cheers
Stuart

Beatle

I plan on being well dead by 2103 thanks Stuart. ;)

But in response, the car was stored in a garage under a car cover and driven every second weekend.  So I doubt leaves are the problem.  

The dial is pretty easy to turn but it does feel like there is some 'take-up' when you rotate it back and forth.  Not to worry, I'll sort it out when I get time.  If it's mechanical I've at least got half a chance.

The car has only covered 116,000kms so I'm thinking it probably is the original clutch.  Seems heavier than I remember (heavier than my 80 series Landcruiser in fact) but I am a bit older...and softer.....
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Darryl

Quote from: Paul Bayly on April 01, 2012, 09:06:01 PM
1.  Brakes engage at bottom of stroke
2.  Clutch engages at top of stroke..... ;D

Um - not really? Time to enjoy one of those transaxle experiences of trying to bleed the b$#%#rd (after a master/slave rebuild/replace)?

GTVeloce

My 75 is similar. I get air out of all of the vents all of the time. The dial turns and I have checked that the cable is turning as it should which implies an issue at the other end of the cable. Is it easy to access the other end or is it a remove-the-dash job?

Not trying to hijack your thread Paul but I suspect we may have the same problem.

Julian

Evan Bottcher

Is there any diagram of the system in the Alfa 90 manuals here?  http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Beatle

Julian, from a VERY hazy memory I think I had that issue with my TS.  When I pulled the dash to clean the leaves out of the plenum/system I recall re-doing al the foam seals on the flapper doors which seemed to fix the problem.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

GTVeloce

Sigh! It looks like the dash has to come out. I suspected as much.

Thanks Paul