Sud / 33/ Sprint Syncro perhaps?

Started by pancho, April 02, 2012, 10:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancho

Hey guys,

I've ordered a few bits in and I got one of these syncro's that doesn't look like the others (the one on the left that is) - I'm wondering if it's a Sud / 33 / Sprint Syncro by chance ?

colcol

The one with the wide slot is a heavy duty 1st-2nd, you will need a heavy duty tripod that goes between the selector ring and the shaft it goes on, and looking at the wider groove in the selector ring, you will need a wider selector fork, i discovered these by chance, when reconditioing my gearbox about a million years ago, i actually ran the wide groove selector ring, with a standard narrow tripod, for years, without knowing i had the wrong tripod, obviously at one stage with powerfull 1700 cc 16 valvers, have broken the tripods on full boar takeoffs and savage 3rd to 2nd downshifts, so the Alfa Romeo engineers have come up with this fix, everyone of my gearboxes i built, i used to put the heavy duty selector ring and tripod on, but my car never had enough power to break one, but i did break the crown wheel and pinion at Winton, and kept driving, tough little gearboxes these Suds and 33's, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

pancho

Thanks for the reply Col BUT I believe the one on the right is for the 105 GB - confirmed today with a used 105 GT one.

I'll triple confirm tomorrow with Vin but yeah the one on the left is what I am thinking is a SUD/33 sleeve. - You got any lying around to compare ? I appreciate your help.

colcol

The wide grooved one must be off a 105, the 3 wide grooves are for the heavy duty tripod as found on 1st - 2nd, Alfa 33 1700, i don't have any lying around, the heavy duty ones are in the car, and the heavy duty selector ring uses a standard selector fork, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

pancho

Well, the unit on the left is out of an Alfa Sei (6). Now that's a new one...back she goes.

colcol

How did you come across it?, did the spare parts place order the wrong selector ring, i don't know where you would buy these sort of things now, i doubt whether it would still be being made, maybe its New Old Stock [NOS], Colin.

pancho

Yes Colin, it was from overseas as part of a large NOS 105 gearbox syncro package that I ordered. The parts in question were sent back today. Thanks for your help ! ;)

colcol

I recently rebuilt my 33 gearbox, and found parts from overseas all dried up, the local spare parts dealers and wreckers still have New Old Stock, [NOS], Colin.