156 JTS - working temperature question

Started by Rafa, April 10, 2012, 12:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafa

Hi all,

It is my understanding the working temperature of the 156 (2004, JTS, Selespeed) should be around the 85°c-95°c, is that correct?

The reason for my question is that on 80% of the time the temp. Gauge is around the 60°c-75°c – either highways or suburban drive. In city traffic (and quite congested) the temperature will rise to about 95°c and be reduced to around 80°c and play around this area.

Would you consider it normal?

Other than  that - I got additional 20 minutes of smiling a day ever since I bought my first 156, and who can put a price on that...

Thanks a lot!

Roger Smith

Hi Raffa

That's too cold. I understand that thermostat failure is common on 156's. I had a similar problem with my 2002 156 JTS. Replacing the thermostat fixed the problem.

With the engine running at the right temperature you will have an even bigger smile!
Current Alfas:
'09 Alfa 159 2.4 sportswagon
'02 156 JTS
'86 Alfetta GTV6 Grand Prix
'68 105 Berlina

Past Alfas: 
'79 Alfetta sedan
'78 Alfasud ti
'69 105 GTV

wankski

correct. your thermo is stuck open. replace. not a big deal, cheap part from o/s... can DIY if you are inclined...

Rafa

Thank you guys.

What are the implications of the thermostat stuck open? Long term & short term.

The only thing I could think of is in terms of fuel consumption when the ECU would think the engine is still cold and would require richer air/fuel mixture.

Is there really any difference in performance?

BTW Wanski, what did you mean by o/s?

colcol

Yes i had the same trouble with my JTS, traffic, gauge would sit halfway, suburban running, gauge would sit at one qaurter, and take a long time to heat up, replaced it, car warms up in 3-4 klms, gauge always sits halfway, JTS's and Twin Spark thermostats are different, have different part numbers, but they look the same, check around Australia and overseas for prices, they vary a lot, you can buy them in Australia for about $75 on special, [Qienten Hazleton brand?], easy enough to change, just remove air cleaner pipe, that is the pipe that goes from the air flow meter to the air cleaner element, and that gives you good access, reason why the are not $10 Repco specials is because the thermostat itself is part of a housing that has has about 3 outlets coming out of it and a sensor built in to it, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

You want to run your engine as hot as you can without overheating, it gives better burning and combustion, the car heats up faster, most engine wear takes place when the engine is cold, if it is running cold, then the 'choke' will be on longer, except it doesn't have a choke, so it will be running richer, using more fuel, put your JTS info display on actual fuel consumption, and see how much fuel it uses cold, my JTS regulary shows 15 litres per 100 klms when cold, temperature affects performance, see on a cold day, the V-8 Supercar teams put 'blockers' on the radiators to stop airflow into the radiators to make them run hotter, that all the proof i need!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

Quote from: Rafa on April 10, 2012, 08:58:27 PM
The only thing I could think of is in terms of fuel consumption when the ECU would think the engine is still cold and would require richer air/fuel mixture.

Is there really any difference in performance?

BTW Wanski, what did you mean by o/s?
correct again... mostly fuel efficiency is gained, but when showing 'cold' you may be losing out on a few ponies... no damage done tho...

o/s = overseas... alternative autos (UK) are showing 33 quid + shipping (small item) for the JTS thermostat. similar pricing from www.ebspares.co.uk i'd imagine.

Steve S

It will take longer to warm up so its spending more time running very cold so more wear on the engine during this time.

Rafa

Thank you all very much, will check the cost with some locals and o/s as well.

Wanski & Colcol, I have never replaced one myself but am definitely inclined to try - any guidance would be welcome!

colcol

Type up on interwebythingy, 'how to change 147-156 thermostat', and try to sort through them all, choose the ones with pictures and print them out for your guidance, quite easyish to do, one day i will tell you about the horror stories of Astra and Vectra thermostats, Alfa's aren't to bad to do!, Colin.

wankski

this is a v6 so a little different: simply a case of making your way to it and ripping it off:

old one here: