What Defines A Car Brand???

Started by Duk, April 14, 2012, 01:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1750GT

Duk there is no need to remind me, what these forum responses don't tell you is that I am of the more mature persuasian and some of the lovely cars you mention and which i hinted at in my response I have actually driven and rallyed when a more younger guy. My son is also currently looking at preparing one for drifting purposes so I know great cars! and i wouldnt mind having a Nissan GTR or wrex or evo in my garage in amoungst my other cars. As I said great cars and some ahead of their time.

But that was the eighties and all that remains now is wrex, eveo and GTR. As I said if the japanese had continued to roll out their models and created a lineage into the 2000's for all of these lovely cars the world would be a different place in my view as to their credibility in the market place rather than (unfortunately) being mucked around with to the point where finding a decent example that hasn't been destroyed by multiple (and cheap) attemtps to wind up power and doof doof mod's is becoming very difficult and of no interest in the "classic" ownership market. For others the cars are obviously still popular. I am also a supporter of the Toyota/Subaru FT86 cars now arriving as this brings the japs finally back into the rear drive market and perhaps the hope of more to come.

I probably should have made myself clearer but in the "classic" market Alfa still remains ahead in my view and its only my view. They have built up their brand (with whatever sucess only the market can judge or is a personal opinion) on the basis of lower end and premium sports cars and that is their BRAND. The japanese have flirted and still do with sports cars mostly based off bog models (wrex off impressa, evo off lancer, GTR off skyline) but unfortunately have not followed thru on the wonderful rear drive cars of the eighties.

And I do note again given this is an Alfa forum your going to get just a bit of "blind" support for Alfa Romeo, its part of what makes us tick, otherwise we'd be on the japanese r us forum, so don't hold it against anyone who happens to support Alfa.

1750GT

Duk

Quote from: 1750GT on April 29, 2012, 09:35:02 PM
Duk there is no need to remind me, what these forum responses don't tell you is that I am of the more mature persuasian and some of the lovely cars you mention and which i hinted at in my response I have actually driven and rallyed when a more younger guy. My son is also currently looking at preparing one for drifting purposes so I know great cars! and i wouldnt mind having a Nissan GTR or wrex or evo in my garage in amoungst my other cars. As I said great cars and some ahead of their time.

And I do note again given this is an Alfa forum your going to get just a bit of "blind" support for Alfa Romeo, its part of what makes us tick, otherwise we'd be on the japanese r us forum, so don't hold it against anyone who happens to support Alfa.

1750GT

My (sort of) bad  :-[. Wrong to assume, but twas my interpretation at the time, I doesth knoweth better now.
You actually sound a lot like my uncle.

Personally, I just want a well designed, well priced, rear wheel drive, drivers car. That puts my focus on older Alfa's and slightly less older Japanese cars. My appreciation grew from only believing in FIAT's and Alfa's in my younger years, to a more open minded view when I bothered to look without the blinkers on and then have some real experiences.
I love my Alfa too, but I love my MR2 just as much. Actually, because I've had more fun in it (the Alfa has been in 'project mode' for much more time than it should have been), I love my MR2 more! A shame it's getting tired and need some serious TLC (dead supercharger and generally tired engine  :-[). I am really looking forward to dancing the 75 through my favorite piece of road!  8)

1750GT

Thats the way Duk (although i hope your uncles a nice guy and not toooo old).

We can all rejoice in our Alfa's and I go even further back to the 1750GT, which I love to death and fall in love with again and again after driving my other cars but we can also rejoice in some lovely cars from other makers (and I won't mention the others as I might create another barrage of responses).

Like you I am also of the rear drive persuassion and I think its been said many a time on this and other forums that as Alfa fanatics it would be great for Alfa to return to their heriatage of making fine rear drive cars. its been too long since the last great real world rear driver from Alfa. i think Alfa gets it but within the fiat group (front drive platforms no rear drivers) and after comming close a couple of times (the GM patforms when fiat had an association with GM, rear drive platforms from independants etc. etc.) Alfa just hasn't been able to come back into this market.

The Alfa 75, one of the most underated cars but a nice piece of equipment, hopefully you can get it going soon. I've never owned one but have driven them and mates of mine have owned 75's. I still can't decide which of the two engines - the 2lt (less power but lighter engine up front - really good steer) or the six (heavier shove up front but what lovely shove it is) - are the better package; although i see your super-charging yours? sounds neat.

The MR2, saw an MR2 last time I was at Winton and it was a bit of a weapon, light and nice mid mount poise (many call it the "mini fazza"). What sort of power are you getting out of the screw and the blower?

1750GT