Alfa Sprint wheel bolt pitch?

Started by Fetta GTV, July 15, 2011, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fetta GTV

Hi All
Are alfa sprint wheel bolts 12x 1.25 pitch
I have a set of wheels for the sprint but the bolts that are on the original alloys are to long 58mm
I need some that are 54mm
anyone know of an Australian supplier?

Cheers
David
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

Fetta GTV

I still want to be able to use the standard wheels as well
Have a set with sticky tyres for track time
1979 Alfetta GTV

colcol

The Alfasud and 33 wheel bolts are different lengths by only a couple of mm, i put some 33 bolts on a Sud and the car locked up, because the too long bolts fouled on the hub, if i remember correctly, if they are too long, get some shorter ones from a wrecker or cut some down with a hacksaw or angle grinder, i know one Sud driver who hated the bolts so much, he put studs in the hubs and used nuts, personally its never worried me that much, but the important thing is to put some anti seize coating on the bolt threads and taper, as they still stay tight, but don't seize on, and you cannot change a wheel, on say the side of the freeway, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Fetta GTV

Thanks for the replies
I'll have a look at a few local wreckers, is the pitch 12x1.25?
1979 Alfetta GTV

colcol

Just checked mine, M12-1,25 pitch, that is the distance from one thread to the next thread, quite a common thread on Italian cars, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Fetta GTV

1979 Alfetta GTV

Frank Musco

I have found 4 different bolts fitted to Suds and 33's. They are shown in the photo below. The length of the bolts has been measured from the bottom of the angled part to the end of the bolts thread.

colcol

The shortest bolt is from an Alfasud with steel wheels, the second shortest bolt is from a 33 with steel wheels, the longest bolt is from a 33 with alloy wheels and the second longest bolt is from a Alfasud with alloy wheels, the Alfasud requires slightly shorter bolts, [about 2-3mm] is because the end of the bolt fouls on the hub, i discovered this when i put some alloy bolts of a 33 onto an Alfasud, and it immediately locked up due to the TOO long bolts, Colin.

Southern75

BMW ones work ... found that out the other day ... e46 ones and they have a few length variations too.

I personally hate the bolts ... what sort of a dumb idea is that???
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

colcol

If you use studs in the wheel hub, then you need different lengths for various steel and alloys wheel combinations, if you use bolts, you use the same hubs to do everything and supply different bolts, its a bit annoying, but its something you learn to live with, Colin.