newbie alfa owner question...147 diesel

Started by amandasmlc, May 22, 2012, 03:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amandasmlc

hi all -- I'm sure this question has been asked (and answered) a zillion times but I would love a definitive answer from the "gurus"...
when should the timing belt be changed? 
I've been given several answers...
I have a 2006/2007 147 6sp diesel with 88,000 on the clock and don't think it has been done...I was originally advised when I bought it 90,000Km or 6 yrs...perhaps a bit of "spin"here??? as I've since been told by a mechanic when I was shopping around for prices (gulp)60,000/3 yrs...
just some opinions....should I get it done like "yesterday" or can it wait a month?
consideration is that I'm doing a couple of country trips and don't want to end up with a bigger problem...
thanks heaps

wankski

its 100k kms or 5 years... whichever is first.... this differs from the petrol models, which are 60k kms and 3 yrs.

if you belt collides, it's still pricey, but the valves don't hit pistons...usually.... the diesels have sacrificial push rods that buy the farm in event of failure...

thing about these ones are a known water pump issue... it seizes and as it runs on the cambelt... it heats and rubs the belt real quick causing it to fail... make sure yours gets done EVERY cambelt change... cheap enough part...

HTHs

amandasmlc

Terrific -- thank you...i might see if i can get a report on what has been done to the car to see if the water pump has already been done...looks like I'll be making a "book it in" ph call tomorrow though...thanks again
Amanda

colcol

Diesel 147, great bit of kit, heaps of torque, good frugal fuel usage, long time between cam belt changes, engine not totaly wrecked if cam belt fails, and here in Victoria, unlike petrol prices, Diesel pump prices remain the same, go figure, Diesel 147 qualified really well up in a field of race cars at the Alfa Romeo 100 year tribute at Phillip Island in 2010, but the best thing is that it is a Bathurst winner, it won its class at the Bathurst 12 hour production car race a few years ago, lots of torque got it up the hill, and the good Diesel economy, meant less pitstops for fuel, and its always great to see that particular 147 Diesel at the RDA-EBC Brakes 6 hour relay race at Winton in October, have a look at the service providers in the sponsors column on the home page, for someone to check out the 147, they have been round the club a long time and service a lot of club members cars, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

amandasmlc

thanks Colin -- I love my little car -- it's given me a new lease on life...and yes, I'll check the sponsors page... :)