Free (+freight): Parts From My Old Nissan Engine Management System Project

Started by Duk, April 20, 2012, 08:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

A bit of a long shot, but I have the parts from my Nissan engine management system project just getting in my way and am happy to give them to someone who would be interested in taking up such a project.

Parts are:
VL Commodore computer.
A slightly modified VL Commondore wiring loom. A relay was added for purposes I can't remember, but was part of the plan  :P
Distributor/crank angle sensor that I removed the original drive gear from. The drive dog from an Alfa V6 distributor needs to be fitted and has the same size bore as the Nissan drive gear. A well made sleeve adapter will need to be machined to accurately locate the Nissan distributor in the Alfa engine.
Air flow meter that I removed the mesh screens from.

I'll also offer any email or phone help I can for an aspiring project doer.

Note that no tuning interface is being provided. My plan was to use the Nistune real time interface to tune the computer to suit the Alfa engine.

This project was only canned because I decided to add a supercharger to my engine. While the Nissan computer can definitely work with forced induction (when tuned correctly), I wanted to use a coil on plug ignition system to help things fit and be neat.
Post intercooler inlet air temperature compensations (ambient temperature compensation is taken care of by the hot wire air flow meter) aren't tunable with the Nissan computer either, and that is/was another big reason for my move to a programmable system.

I stand by my belief that a tuned, early Nissan system would be a great replacement for the old Bosch L Jetronic system for a standard to warm (mild cams, cleaned ports, valve seats, extractors and exhaust) 12 valve, V6 engine.

jg1053

Duk

Whyalla, SA.

The distributor seems to bee in good condition. The shaft spins smoothly. Ages ago I did a test because I realized that distributor would spin in the opposite direction when it was in the Alfa V6 engine. So I hooked up everything, wired a light into an injector driver and spun the distributor backwards (Alfa engine direction) to make sure the injector drivers triggered.
Logically it made sense too. The computer doesn't know which direction the distributor spins, so it works fine. The plug leads and injector leads need to be dressed to suit the Alfa's injector and firing order.