Australian Classic Car featuring two rare Alfas

Started by Cool Jesus, May 10, 2012, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Jesus

Current June issue is featuring the Giocattolo and what is believed to be Mussolini's 6C-2500...
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

massiveluvbuddy67

Anthony Miller

I once visited Rob Halstead's showroom and workshop in North Sydney called of all things "The Toy Shop", where they built "the little toy". It was, to this day, the cleanest workshop I have ever seen, much like a professional race team.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

McAnnik

Sometimes years ago I would hear the car referred to as the"Chooklotto"!!! That was at Jeff Dutton's showroom during one of his open house nights.There was a yellow one there  for sale along with the red 4R. That was a long time ago,probably in the Eighties.....Cheers

colcol

I beleive the Giacatollo was built in Queensland somewhere, they were privately purchased in New Zealand and imported into Australia, where the 1700 carby engines, gearboxes, suspensions, brakes, bonnets, gaurds, etc where sold off, for about $3,000 in about 1988, the parts were advertised in the Saturday Age, one of my fellow club members purchased the parts off the cars for his Sprint, i remember he said he felt nervous about sending a cheque for $3,000 to a 80's wheeler dealer from Queensland, and was releived when the parts turned up, but later met the guy behind it, and said he was quite a down to earth bloke with a passion for cars, was his name Paul Halsted?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Darryl

Of course its from Qld right down to the Bundy in the toolkit. Engineering by Barry Lock, which means that mad aero probably works... And it is still called the chook lotto - even by KP (who owns one).

1750GT

One of these would rock. later models used an ausie V8 (supplied by HSV) which was rear/mid mounted. A boss of mine used to do mountain climbs in a yellow V8 giogattalo.

The cars were aparently well but together by Barry Lock and his crew, so they weren't just show pieces they actually worked. Shame we can't get more of these types of vehicles still being built in Australia.

1750GT

massiveluvbuddy67

Yes...they are very well engineered and built. Paul Halstead and Barry Lock (F1 designer) constructed an excellent chassis. Unfortunately, Alfa Romeo at the time did not cover themsleves in glory and allegedly reneged on a deal to supply the new 3 litre engine for the car. Consequently, all cars were fitted with Holden sourced V8s. They are tightly held by enthusiasts now and I believe there are 13 left. There are two white cars that I know of in Victoria.

colcol

I heard a story, that by the time all the bribes and import duties had taken their toll, the Alfa V-6 was way out of the picture, and there was a similar type of car being made in Italy, the engine parts for the Aussie V-8 would be cheap and readily available, followed one round Phillip Island in damp conditions, about 20 years ago, looked like a real handfull, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Anthony Miller

Yes that's right Paul not Rob, it was back in the eighties and many a brain cell has gone to god since ::)
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Davidm1600

Yes pretty much spot on re what has been said.  From memory, they only ever made 13, all had the Holden V8. From memory also I think that Paul Halstead was also somehow associated with Lamborghini, though what exactly I can't recall.

Sportscar World Magazine did a feature on the very first one made, I think it was painted red.  Over the years there have been a number of Giacottolo's that have competed in Targa Tas.  I am pretty sure I still have a copy of the magazine.

I see to recall that when new they cost around the $100k mark.  Pretty expensive given their relatively humble origins but you were paying for serious bang for buck with a lot of special engineering built into them.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

1750GT

Here's a short piece on the giogattalo and the reason the HSV V8 made its way into the car.

If this article is right even the cops owned one, poor form putting a set of flashing lights on top of the car? i wonder what happend to this car?

http://alfasud.alfisti.net/gioe.html

1750GT

Brad M

As per the image in the first post, there were 15 made.

One crashed in a tragic circumstances at Eastern Creek (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/19/1082357114220.html) and one is unaccounted for; leaving 13 known  Giocattolo's out there.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

colcol

When the Giacatollo was given to the highway patrol police to 'evaluate', it was filmed by A Current Affair, the publicity it got couldn't have been brought, about 25 years ago ACA wasn't the sludgefest it is now, it used to do 'Current Affairs', i still maintain that i read the reason they were going to use the Alfa V-6, is because there was a similar project in Italy, and the original price for the V-6 was good, but then all the bribes to get the V-6 to happen pushed the price out of reach, has anyone else heard this story?, in the very early days of the Victorian 'Spectacollo', Alfa Club car display day, one actually turned up, not on a trailer, just driven there, except in those days Spectacollo was called the 'Gala' day, Colin.

Luna Rossa

Hmmm....

The article about Musollini's 6C 2500 looks suspiciously similar to an article that appeared on page 96 of the February 2012 edition of Classic & Sports Car (UK). It's a very elegant machine indeed.

/drool

Dang... It's right hand drive too!
Current Cars
2013 Giulietta
1970 GT Veloce
1963 2600 Sprint

Past
1970 GT Junior 1300
2009 159 2.2 Litre JTS Ti