Unique Cars on the 147 GTA

Started by Evan Bottcher, March 09, 2012, 11:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

http://www.uniquecarsmag.com.au/news-and-reviews/article/articleid/78475.aspx

"The 147 GTA's extra fuel consumption, larger turning circle and running costs are easily balanced by the chassis sophistication, body and cabin presentation, its glorious engine and sense of occasion – all too rare in a modern car."
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

oz3litre

I don't agree with the writer about poor build quality on the 75. The more I work on mine, the more I find how well put together it is. The plastics are very good quality on the whole. To date, I have never seen a 75 with a cracked dash. The 75 would have been an expensive car to build. I wonder if the guy has ever owned, or driven one. You can't lump them in with the Alfetta GTV on build quality. It is a good article on the 147 GTA though.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

1750GT

I think the 147GTA is definitely going to be a classic, particularly the later ones with the Q2 diffs, small car with a big six, the pre-GMH alfa engine I think. I've gone on touring/rally events and the GTA's have done very well, even in motkahna's.

I think they only came in six speed manual and thank god for that, the seles speed auto is definetly not going to become a classic but a noose around everyones necks who have been unfortunate enough to have a seles speed car. I drove a seles speed bog 147 for about three months whilst a mate of mine was overseas. It was the worst drive, the constant waiting for the the box to change, clunky changes etc. around town was the worst. About the only time it was half enjoyable was on a country road with your right foot firmly thru the carpet 100% of the time, lift off however and the thing took so long to think about what to do that you could get yourself into some real trouble.

But the 147GTA manual, if you can find one thats not has too much of a hard life and has been looked after (serviced, timing belt changed etc,) would be a delightful car to own if your committed to properly maintaining it, the car has some expensive kit which as with any vehicle with this sort of gear (not just alfa's) needs to be properly maintained with origianal parts, skimp and start putting cheaper parts in and there'll be issues.

1750GT