Stitching on drivers seat - repairable?

Started by tony8028, May 13, 2012, 01:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony8028

Hi folks

The drivers seat on my 147 has started coming apart at the seams (not unlike its owner).

See this pic:
http://twitpic.com/9kfjyq

Is this fixable of am i better off looking for a new seat a 2nd hand seat?

If it were fixable, any idea of rough costs?

I have seen entire 147 interiors on ebay for circa $500

thanks

tony
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual

colcol

Go to an Motor trimmer, and get a quote for fixing it, they would have to disable airbag, remove seat, remove cover, and restitch it, your problem will be having no car while they restitch  it, the second hand seats on ebay are ok, but they may be coming apart like yours, and you have to buy the whole lot, 2 front, rear and door trims, and then you have to store them or try and sell them, if you are in Victoria send me an email and i will tell you who does all my trimming, he is good and works from home, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

1750GT

Tony agree with Colcol, there should be a motor trimmer around who could fix this, some even provide a spare seat whilst they are fixing them, the main issue is all the palava around disconnecting the seat and disabling air bags (and this may effect whether they can provide a spare whilst they fix it).

I also use a back yarder who's done a couple of repairs for me and family members but your in NSW's. I have done a number of rallys with Robert Panetta at Manning Motors (Sydney). Roberts not a motor trimmer but a mechanic who also does parts and some resto's. There is nothing that Robert doesn't know or who to contact to get something done on an Alfa and he's helpful.

Good Luck, just look up Manning motors or go to the NSW Alfa chapter web site as you'll probably be able hook up with him, last time I looked he was still a NSW chapter member.

1750GT 

tony8028

1750GT,

thanks for the reply....i am in victoria so will try and find someone local...

i guess i was hoping that the seam could be stitched up without removing the entire cover, but maybe not!

cheers tony
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual