AAArrrggghhh, Recommended Panel beater please..

Started by Rafa, May 17, 2012, 01:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafa

So angry! Came back on Monday night from the footy to pick the car up from the station, and I couldn't believe it, no note - nothing, People can be s#*t!!  >:(

And I am being so careful with that one, sometimes travel a bit more to make sure the parking is big enough and not stacked on top of each other to avoid all the door opening issues. This is the first time I am getting angry over this sort of thing (my first Alfa, can you tell...).  >:(

Moving to a more practical lines, I am probably going to call AAMI today, so:

1. Any Recommendation on a Panel beater for my 156 in the Melbourne area would be much appreciated.
2. Did anyone had any experience with AAMI (or any other 'regular' insurance companies) in regard to choosing the service provider?

Any suggestions, opinion & recommendations are welcome.

Thank guys.

pasey25

With AAMI my past experience was that you were stuck with whichever repairers they had doing quotes at the assesment centre; and the lowest quote got the work

(i'm no longer insured with AAMI)
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

wankski

if you can choose... Lance dixon autobody at doncaster...

otherwise rugolo in brunswick...

colcol

My last experience with AAMI was you take your car to a big warehouse in Preston or Nunawading, fill out the claim forms, leave your car there, and they have Panel Beaters walking around putting in prices, and whoever gives the cheapest quote, gets the job, then when its ready, they phone you, and you pick it up from the body repairers, i would like to choose my own panel shop, but at the end of the day, you just want a good job done, i have seen some dodgy jobs done by so called 'Prestige' body shops, but then the insurance assesors most likely beat the price down, i am now insured with Shannons, and i can choose where the car goes, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Heard good reports on Rankins, might try Extreme Body Repairs and Restos in Dandenong, see Lee Parra, club member, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

Did the footy match involve Collingwood fans? I always recommend taking the train in that case.

massiveluvbuddy67

You will likely not get a choice with AAMI. If you do, I concur with the recommendations above. Have a look at the club mag. Our sponsors are passionate about quality work.

John Hanslow

Try Lee Parra in Dandenong who is very highly regarded due to his expertise and execellent work from newer to older Alfas.  Like rankins, many concours cars have been restored there.  But also a whole range of top noth Show'n shine cars winners have originated there over the past few years. 

Try Lee Parra in Dandenong who is very highly regarded due to his expertise and excellent work from newer to older Alfas.  Like Rankins, many concours cars have been restored there.  But also a whole range of top notch Show'n shine cars winners have originated there over the past few years. 

Note that I had a situation where someone reversed into me and put a dent in the tail gate. 

Experience - LSV (and probably Shannons) normally authorise a repair on a given quote, the problem was that say RACV only authorise a repair to suite their budget and an inspection is required where the damage is assessed and repair to a price negotiated and authorised.

It was all fixed up but instead of a new tail gate, I had the dent repaired which is fair enough for me (my 147 is not concours).  Now with LSV to make any future negative experience a minor one as they authorise a repair with little argument or negotiation.

There is a club Garage Visit to Lee Parra's workshop next month however I suggest you contact him and discuss your options.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Rafa

Thank you guys for all the useful advice, will keep you updated.

Cheers!

orgigeorgie

Quote from: Choderboy on May 17, 2012, 08:10:09 PM
Rankins Restorations, Bayswater.

Club sponsor.

+1. He was a perfectionist and sorted my car out. Very very happy with him. I was with AAMI too. Expect to put up a battle mate.
156 GTA | 156 TS | GTV6

Sheldon McIntosh

Unlucky mate, and looks like a bad spot to repair too.

People indeed are a**eholes sometimes.  This happened to my car a few years ago, luckily on a car on which the cosmetics are the least of my worries....  http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=998.0

Alfapride

i recommend higgins panels in bulleen, i have taken my alfa there 3 times and he does a wonderful job. close eye for detail and perfection
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce