1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

John Hanslow

I thought that this was some kind of joke.  But in looking at 3 news links, I saw a similar article in the Washington Post.

Well I suppose it is a practical way of purchasing someone else's RWD platform of a proven seller - the MX% is after all regarded as the best (Previously affordable) sports car in the world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/next-gen-mazda-mx-5-to-spawn-new-alfa-romeo-spider-official/2012/05/23/gJQACdH6jU_story.html

On a side note a mate sold his Alfetta GTV 2lt and upgraded to a MX5 (series 2) and he would drive his cars hard.  He noted that with the dedion set up, the Alfetta was still just that little bit better.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

1750GT

I don't know about R.I.P. If Alfa maintains its design integrity in terms of its engines and body styling, this could be a good thing, the new 105? rear drive! Alfa.

Could also lead to rear drive in some of its other models as well? Mazda's has used the MX5 rear drive platform in MX7/8 to great effect.

Not sure we should be too sad about product sharing, Alfa certainly won't get a rear drive platform from within the Fiat group. Perhaps it will also mean that Alfa gets away from the shitbox Fiat front drive platforms as well. Don't be too closed to this one.

1750GT

f1worldchamp

Current:
2006 159 JTDm
Past:
2000 GTV 2.0 Twin Spark
1973 1600 GT Junior
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Run with the bulls
Swim with the Sharks
Race with the Italians

Darryl

I hope this works. A lot less scary than any Chrysler product sharing (though I have to wonder what the fiat group are going to use to power this thing).

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Darryl on May 24, 2012, 10:16:50 PM
I hope this works. A lot less scary than any Chrysler product sharing (though I have to wonder what the fiat group are going to use to power this thing).

They have a couple of great little 4 cylinder engines at the moment, the 1400 and the 1750.

Here's an interesting video, two journos talking about the prospect..

13 minutes, so if you can't be bothered...

-Alfa needs a RWD platform, the world has had enough of FWD Alfas.
-MX5 will apparently be sportier next time
-Probably a win for Alfa, as it will be better looking than the MX5
-Current Alfas are good looking but a long way behind the competition.

Duk

I'd rather see this than another front wheel drive shopping trolly with a pretty body and an Alfa badge!

Whether the average Alfa fan likes it or not, the Japanese have churned out some excellently engineered cars with VERY good build quality at very good prices for a long time.

When Mazda were building the FD3S (Series 6/7/8) RX7, they were taking on and beating Porsche in GT Production car racing.
What were Alfa doing???
They were making front wheel drive shopping trollies and trying to hold their FIAT owned head above the water.
Admittedly since those glory days of (Australian) GT Production car racing, Mazda haven't exactly set the world on fire with anything amazing (RX8......... Meh  :-\), but the MX5 has held true to the classic sports car design of engine mounted low and rearward of the front axle line, rear wheel drive with excellent wheel base and track dimensions with excellent suspension design all attached to a decent chassis.

Lets see how many of the badge engineering fraternity still consider a Japanese designed and built car an Alfa  :P