Dual Exhaust in Some GTs?

Started by Gotta B Red, June 09, 2012, 01:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gotta B Red

Hi All,
Still a newbie, and mindful of the Mark Twain quotation.
My dear,departed mother often advised me that I should really only open my mouth to change feet!

But here goes anyway..... some of the Alfa GTs I've seen are adorned with what appears to be a dual exhaust system, i.e. four pipes,two on each side exiting the rear of the vehicle.
My question, is this an aftermarket mod? or was/is it a genuine Alfa accessory/option?
Or worst case scenario just a dummy pipe(s) for show or looks alone and serves no actual purpose or function?

Although feeling a little sheepish I'd be grateful for the good oil and quite prepared to wear the guffaws of raucous laughter!
Cheers,
Andy

Gotta B Red

Hi All,
Due to the silence, I thought I must be hallucinating..... again.
Had another look around and it's no hallucination,there are some models of the 3.2 GT with twin pipes but it seems it is an aftermarket mod to the the rear or 'back' box facilitating two exhaust outlets, with four pipes and it seems a 'cosmetic' mod with little or no performance improvement.
Cheers,
Andy

ANG156

Mate I wouldn't bother with the mod. It looks good but at what expense? There is a guy on the ausalfa.com forum who bought a gt with twin outlet exhaust. Anyway his wife reversed into another car which pushed the exhaust into the fuel tank causing a puncture. I personally wouldn't go for it but if I wanted the look i suppose i would mount a dummy tip on the other side. Try the ausalfa.com forum for more info. Just bear in mind that if you do this mod at a local exhaust shop they're just going to weld a together a front to rear exhaust system which would make it inseparable if you need to remove one section to gain access to a certain area. Believe me there are some shocking exhaust shops out there and no ones going to spend the time to fabricate a decent system. Best to buy one of the net or put the money into the 18inch wheels if you havn't got them or a suspension mods or sell the gt and get a brera 3.2v6 with the four outlets from factory.

What would be a good idea is to have a look at carsales for gt's that have this mod. Get in contact with the seller and ask him some questions. You could even pretend that your interested in the car and go for a viewing just to check out the exhuast how its made. Worth the effort especially if an exhaust shop will charge you in excess of $200 to do the mod.

shiny_car

It is an aftermarket fitment. Doesn't have to be dummy, and to me, that would be even more naff.  :P

Ragazzon offer quads to suit. They are a very good brand, very well-renowned. Good places to purchase from are either alfisti.net in GER, or from Wal who runs Euro Exhaust locally (he is an Alfista).

http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-GT/Sport-Exhausts:::1_17_79.html (register for ex-VAT pricing; VAT pricing adds 12.5% which you won't have to pay)
http://www.euroexhausts.com.au/page1.php (contact him for pricing)

For proper fitment, you need to modify the driver side exit. Whilst you can simply remove the cover-piece on this side - which creates a nice symmetrical exhaust recess - you have to cut off the toe-hook hole. Not a big job, but some people will baulk at such modification.

Compared with the standard twin pipe exhaust, the quad is purely cosmetic. It will alter sound very slightly compared with the equivalent twin, but no performance benefit.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Gotta B Red

Thanks Guys,
It was just something I saw and wasn't sure about, I suspected it was an aftermarket mod.
I was prepared to hear it was a factory thing and a "special" performance enhancing difference,along the lines of a dual and discrete exhaust from each bank of the 'V'  .... It has been done before.
This may get me into a little strife on this forum but I've never subscribed to "form before function" or put anther way "style over substance"
While the aesthetics and symmetry may appeal to some it's not my bag at all, for mine the GT already looks great bog standard.
So "if it ain't broke why fix it?"
Cheers,
Andy

ANG156

Thats true gotta be red.

I totally forgot that there was off the shelf systems available. Lucky shiny car reminded me. Anyway most people i know get it done at local exhaust shops but they're usually crappy jobs. Though 700euro for an exhuast excluding delivery is expensive.

Gotta B Red

Thanks All,
It's not something I'd do for the previously mentioned reasons, aesthetics alone are not justification enough.
These cars, Alfa Romeos are designed/styled by arguably the greatest designers and design studios on the planet.For mine it's the height of insolence to think we can improve on their art. It's like changing the colour or adding a few brushsrokes to a Da Vinci or Michaelangelo.

That said, the new union between Chrysler and Fiat can only be a good thing for Chrysler anyway, from a style and aesthetics perspective. I've seen images only of the new 'Big' Alfa based on the 300C Chrysler and if there was ever a car that needed (screamed actually) for a makeover then the 300C is it .... in spades!

And the sound system in a standard GT isn't good enough .... cop a squiz at this Dooff Dooff GT. If you haven't already seen it.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=D_sjXP_ZaZY&feature=endscreen>

Cheers,
Andy

McAnnik

A raucus raspy exhaust noise of an Alfa pulling 7 Grand in third beats the hell out of whatever sound system you have in mind.!! A very old member of the Vintage Sports Car Club of UK, made a recording of his most favorite cars exhaust note while pedalling furiously pulling 6s and 7s at Brands Hatch circuit (UK) in the 60's.After listening to the recording, he made the statement "let this be the last thing I hear before I die". He (of course) was driving his Type 35 Supercharged BUGATTI at the time............................Are YOU that dedicated?