Typical unreliable Alfa Romeo

Started by colcol, April 29, 2012, 08:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Got called out the other night to a rello with a 147 with a flat battery, jump started with the 33, he went to buy another battery and the auto electrician said it was the original battery, 11 years old, the oldest battery he seen in a 147 was 9 years old, replaced it with a Bosch battery, has anyone ever heard of a battery lasting this long?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

ANG156

Yes Colin I have heard it before...my dad told me the exact same story when he came home from work that night. No jokes!!!

colcol

Hey ANG156, what does your dad do?, i looked at my brothers 147 and the battery was an Alfa Romeo brand, [made by someone else], or it could mean somewhere along the track, the original owner has replaced it with a Genuine Alfa Romeo battery, but knowing the price of one from Alfa, that would be a no-no, as the original owner lived on the coast, a fair way from an Alfa dealer, so if it neede a replacement battery, he would have got one from a local mechanic, who did the servicing on the car, and get this 55,000 original klms and 10 years old and original cambelt, [now changed], Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

ANG156

He's an auto electrician. I heard the exact same story last week when he came home from work. Every detail sounds identical including the timing belt one and the number of km's. Apparently owned by some old italian guy right? BTW did your brother own an alfa 33 at one stage?

colcol

The 147 belonged to an old Australian guy who was about 85, brother asked him are you selling the 147 because you are giving up driving?, he replied, no, buying a new Guilietta!, [you gotta luv that], the man has owned Suds and 33's, so obviously he is a good bloke, brother has owned a red twin carb Sud since he was 18, got written off, when it was rear ended by a Hyundai, middle of last year, but my brother drove my 33 at various stages, and sprinted it as well, i am forever gratefull to my brother who opened my eyes up to Alfa Romeo, he has had them longer than me, and he is 9 years younger than me, Colin.

ANG156

Yeah the story sounds exactly the same. I think i just got confused about the italian guy owning the car. For sure my dad knows your brother.

colcol

Bought battery of him last year, wanted Supercharge, rang round everywhere, he was the cheapest, and he had it in stock, went there and he was working on an Alfa [164], and there were Alfas around the place, seemed like a nice bloke, and knew what he was doing, when brother needed a new battery, told him to go there in Thomastown, 10 minutes from his work, 11 years for a battery, amazing!, hope it got a good funeral, R.I.P. Alfa battery, Colin.

ANG156

Yeah my dad's loves 164's! He's owned 3 in the past 15 years. The one my mum drove had covered 350,000kms before we sold it once my parents upgraded to a 159.

Supercharge is a very good brand of battery. I know alfacare only recommend and use supercharge. When the 159 refused to start one morning due to a dead battery I rang alfa care and they came and installed a new supercharge battery free of charge. The techy said that the only one they are allowed to use is supercharge. I think Ateco is recommending them for maserati's as well since my dad installed one into a quattroporte about 1.5 years ago after the dealer told him to find a supercharge seller.

Surprised the 147 battery lasted 11 years. In the 159 it only lasted 2 years since manufacture date. Must be all those current draining features such as auto headlights etc.

colcol

Got a Supercharge Battery in the 156, had the car three and a half years, and the battery is older than that, battery still good, previously always liked Century, because the 33 battery was the same as a Commodore, so i could by one at 7-11, see how the Supercharge battery goes in the 33, and it has an eye that is in the top of the battery, green is good, red is bad, so i don't have to get the hydrometer out to check, Colin.

Alfapride

best i ever got was 8 years out of a champion battery from my alfa 33 16v would be fine in summer but with these colder nights was loosing charge. The guys at Battery world checked out the battery and said it was gone time for a newbie
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

VeeSix

1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

Gotta B Red

Hi All,
Wasn't quite sure where to post this but thought it may loosely follow this thread. A mate of mine knowing I'm looking at Alfa's seemed duty-bound to point out the pitfalls.
Old story! but he has a lighter side and thought this might put things in perspective.
It seems to me this could be a very eloquent defence, when the ugly doomsayers raise their heads.
It's regarding Joe Lucas aka "The Prince of Darkness"
If you've not already seen or read this material I'd strongly recommend wearing your laughing Kimbies and perhaps another pair at the ready.
The images and directions on replacing lost smoke from a wiring loom is particularly good.
Enjoy!
Andy
<http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html>