Giulietta 101 Spider project...

Started by GoldCLoverLeaf, June 18, 2012, 09:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldCLoverLeaf

A relatively solid looking Giulietta restoration project for $6k on gumtree, smells fishy though...

Probably too good to be true, but hey you never know, if i had the spare cash and saw the car in person i would buy it!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cromer/wrecking/1960-alfa-romeo-giulieta-convertible/1003530417

The things that about the ad that concern me are the "urgent" label...

The fact that there is an American pick-up in the background that isn't sold in Aus (as far as i know)

The fact that he mispelt Giulietta

The fact that there is no Myall street in Cromer (i work in Brookvale the next suburb over).

Hmmmm...

Craig_m67

It's on Aust. eBay too.
...I've asked for info, just incase :)

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

GoldCLoverLeaf

Can't find it on ebay do you have a link, or was it pulled as a scam?

I work in Brookvale which is near Cromer so if anyone wants me to look at it i might be able to help out, assuming it's real of course  ::)

Craig_m67

I recv. a reply this morning with a set of eight pictures.  They look a bit like they were taken in the US, but I couldn't be sure.  it's in Sydney apparently, who wants to go have a look - save me the drive?! ;D

Looks rough
I wonder if it was imported correctly (VIN notified) and can be registered (after resto)

McAnnik

The address should read Oatley not Cromer. I checked the Google map......    I also emailed for a few more details although not many are needed. The car as pictured is typical of the rundown imports that come out of California, that doesn't make them bad, it means (slightly) less work needed to bring them up to scratch,just be prepared to spend 30 K minimum to get it right, this assuming you can't do much to it yourself.In fact, double that cost to produce the concourse example that you really want to own (but never drive coz it won't be worth SXXT if you get it dirty) My suggestion to the buyer of this car is to tidy it up to RWC standard and enjoy the hell out of it! for a few years, then give it to Shannon's to flog it when you need the dosh (being an Alfa owner, this appears to be a constant demand!) I leave it there! I don't need another project...........Cheers .......Ian

Craig_m67

Hej Ian,

I'd be interested in any of the additional detail you recv. I don't want to bother the buyer unnecessarily as i don't have room for another project (duetto in bits) and am in another state. That said however, if it was reasonably sound - i'd probably make room. Have always wanted a 750/101 spider.

PM if you like

I am interested to know if the vehicle has been imported correctly, VIN correctly advised to DoTARs register etc. I agree that it makes more sense to turn these into drivers ASAP, otherwise they end up like my Duetto.
Dd you get any other info around the structure! how bad the body (floors etc) are. If it comes with an engine.

Cheers
Craig

The pictures sent to me are taken from only the outside.

ItalCarGuy

I call scam on this one. Zero feedback on eBay just like the 2600 Zagato that has just been listed in New Farm. Craig, contact the seller and ask if you can have a look. bet there will be some excuses. I'll buy a Camry if I'm wrong. Hang on, I already did that ...

Craig_m67

Quote from: Derek Entesano on June 20, 2012, 05:23:38 PM
just like the 2600 Zagato that has just been listed in New Farm. ...

oooh, where's that listed !!
i'm all over that  ;D

... interestingly, the original ebay ad for the Giulietta has dissapeared (or i've lost it)

McAnnik

The email query I sent to the "Seller" yesterday remains unanswered. I asked if the car was available for  personal inspection this morning and could he give the address of location..........no reply your honour!

Craig_m67

ah.. well, i did get a response m'lord and 14 photo's

Hi,

I attached you more photos of the Alfa.
Excellent rare car to restore, comes with heritage certificate from Alfa.
Let me know where are you from and when you can come and view/take it?

Regards,
Bonne

Closer inspection of the photos indicate lots of LHD cars. The angle of the Giulietta suggest no engine (or it's in the boot).  It's resale red, with a grigio grey dash, looks like it was originally white (body is dreadfull, however most bits are there). At least one seat, red carpets, 31K Miles  

I'd be happy to post them up here if anybodys interested, provide the seller with a wider, targeted audience - be a favour like ;D

Anybody want to rock around to 4 Myall Street and have a squiz .. if it exists i'll have it :)

Giulia65

Quote from: Derek Entesano on June 20, 2012, 05:23:38 PM
I call scam on this one. Zero feedback on eBay just like the 2600 Zagato that has just been listed in New Farm. Craig, contact the seller and ask if you can have a look. bet there will be some excuses. I'll buy a Camry if I'm wrong. Hang on, I already did that ...

Second Derek on this one: S-C-A-M!!

If you've made contact with the seller via ebay or email, reccomend you immediately change both passwords, as that's what they're after so they can use YOUR account and email address for futher scams...

No such thing as a cheap Alfa, unless Derek's selling it!

Cam

ItalCarGuy

Last time I checked it was me who bought a cheap Alfa off you!

Here is the eBay number for the Sprint Zagato

Item #:   251090092646

Craig_m67

err... the Zagato is on BAT !?

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/05/31/needy-zagato-1966-alfa-romeo-2600sz-project/
it's also correctly listed in http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261034016976+&viewitem=

.. that said Cam and all are correct.  SCAM.  I knew i'd seen it somewhere before... and it's here >>http://giuliettas.com/2012/04/29/market-416-spider-10103-09100-project/

pity.. guess i really want a giulietta :)

now.. how long till my account is emptied