Brembo callipers for GTV4. PLUS Rear Pads ????

Started by michaeljc, July 12, 2012, 12:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaeljc

I am changing the gearbox and have transaxle out. Will replace rear discs and pads. I have a spare set of solid discs so I'll get them machined rather than source vented ones.

Question 1: Which rear pads (brand / type / etc.) are good for sprints and spirited road driving?

Second thought is to upgrade the front discs and callipers to the Brembos. I read on an old topic:
" ....GTV6 rotors and calipers, 1981 to 86, Alfa 90. 1985 to 88, and Alfa 75. 1986 to 92 are all the same,  vented  5 stud, and are slightly bigger in diameter 268mm verse 261 you have now. The real benefits are 1. Vented rotors,  2. Brembo alloy calipers, very light with bigger pads, less unsprung weight. 3, will bolt straight on only thing is you need 4 stud. Check that your rims don't touch the Brembo calipers, not the out side diameter, but the face of the caliper and the back of the wheel. I would recommend talking to Vin at Pace Engineering 9844 0147.. I think Vin gets blank GTV6 rotors and drills them to suit. ..... "
Question 2: Do ALL of the GTV6s / 75s and 90s have the Brembo callipers ... or just specific models?

Question 3: With Brembos and slotted discs up front, does the GTV4 master cylinder and brake bias need consideration / changing?

Question 4: What pads would you use front and rear for sprints with the brembos up front and standard solid discs on the rear?

Looking forward to your combined insights .... Michael.
2001 Subaru WRX
1999 Subaru WRX STI
1984 Alfetta GTV

Darryl

Quote from: michaeljc on July 12, 2012, 12:20:35 PM
Question 2: Do ALL of the GTV6s / 75s and 90s have the Brembo callipers ... or just specific models?

Not all GTV6s have them - not sure of exactly when the changeover was - 1984? All 75s have the alloy brembos and I assume the same for 90s given the years they were made.

Quote from: michaeljc on July 12, 2012, 12:20:35 PM
Question 3: With Brembos and slotted discs up front, does the GTV4 master cylinder and brake bias need consideration / changing?

No.

aggie57

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Neil Choi

Pads.

As usual you will get dozens of favourites.  I will chime in my 2cents.

Supporting local and club sponsor, Maranello supplies QFM's, A1RM are prescribed for sprints, race and road.

Many have used EBC Reds comfortably in sprints and race.  Speak to me more if so desired, very reasonably priced, ask me why (look at who sponsored the club).

Also some have used Lucas, Porterfield and Hawk (but more $$$).  Others swears by Ferodo 2500.  Also Racebrakes in Yarraville.

But pick one and use them, to see if they suit you.  If not, choice another.  One bad experience and you will think brand X is crap and someone will tell you brand Y is the bee's knees.  

Neil (not an expert)