Koni FSD on 147 GTA

Started by 155 lover, August 05, 2012, 09:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

155 lover

Hi all, just thought I'd post for others reference about the Koni FSDs I've had fitted to my 147 GTA.

Anyway, I noticed a knocking sound from the front right suspension set up a few months ago and likely having worn ball joints on the top control arms, I took a plunge and ordered (from eb spares) new left and right control arms (top and bottom) and drop links. I also spotted the Koni FSDs on EBspares and after grappling with the bumpy ride on crap Adelaide roads for ages, I took the plunge and purchased them. Note - the FSDs locally were $1250, delivered from EB spares around $750 (I ordered a lot of stuff).

Anyway, I've had everything replaced and sure enough the knocking sound was gone - I inspected the worn parts and there was heaps of play in the control arm ball joints and the drop links were completely shagged. The FSDs however are the talking point - absolutely amazing and worth every cent! They ride the bumps beautifully, not feeling "soft" or anything, rather just very composed and firm, without having the old abrasive bumpy go kart ride. As soon as you plant your foot while going around a corner, the whole set up comes to life - the car feels beautifully solid and cruises round bends, taking any pot holes/bumps in its stride. I've already had the q2 installed and having the worn suspension parts replaced and the FSDs now seems to let me really "feel" the q2 working to pull the car through the bends.

I also had Pirelli P7 Cinturato tyres fitted shortly after and they've improved everything further. I'm trying to run them fully inflated (38 psi) to judge how harsh the ride is, but so far with the FSDs they feel great. I might try running them on 35-36 though for a few hundred kms to see if it makes it any more comfortable.

Long story short - I've had a lot of work done, but the FSDs are simply amazing. They improve the comfort over crappy roads AND also provide better road holding and more firmness when you put your foot down - I would strongly recommend.

79' Alfetta 2000
74' Spider
03' 147 GTA