Fuel tank sealing?

Started by f1fascination, July 31, 2013, 04:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f1fascination

Hey all, has anyone had any luck with the commercial fuel tank sealers on the market?
I have refurb'd the outside of my tank while doing other repairs, and wondered if it was worth the money to buy one of those sealing kits for the inside, or just give it a good descale and refill it with fresh fuel.
Any feedback greatly appreciated!
Scruffy though charming 1973 GTV 2000

colcol

The water tends to sit on the bottom and rusts the bottom of the tank, and the rust clogs the strainers, lines, filters and carby's, i would clean up the inside of the tank at the bottom, put a tank sealant on it, to stop further rusting, my first car had endless tank rusting problems, these treatments were not around 30 years ago, so i cured the problem .....with a plastic tank, no more fuel starvation problems, there are some excellent treatments for tanks at vintage restoration places, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Andrew Bose

They also sell tank sealer at motorcycle shops if you have one close but make sure it doesn't block holes so it does not lift  around the edge when you poke through it to clear them. I have found that using a some small nuts and bolts and shaking them around in the tank with water in it is a good way to get off any loose rust, but you need to wash it out with methylated spirit afterwards to get all the water out.
Andrew

colcol

You can also use some coarse fishtank aquarium sand and water for lubricant and rattle it around in the tank, and then dry it out and rattle the tank around to listen to see if you have removed all the little pebbles, then use some deoxidine acid to kill the rust and send the rust black, and after that, put the fuel tank sealant in, you can also use fishtank pebbles to clean out the overflow coolant tanks in Alfasuds and 33's, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]