alfetta original shock absorbers

Started by Cool Jesus, June 28, 2012, 08:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Jesus

Can anybody answer me what colour the original front and/or rear shocks were on the Alfetta?

The rear shocks on my rebuild were BOGE's which I believe is OE. The fronts were fitted witha after market Monroe's.
I've picked up a used set of Koni yellows and toying with the idea of rejuvinating the paint to Alfetta OE colours.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

festy

Here's a BOGE rear shock which I think is OE, similar colour to yours but a little lighter.

kartone

82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Cool Jesus

Thanks Festy  those rims would certainly show off any bling set ups behind the wheels.
Kartone, anything more on Spica? Color, front, rear. If I were to have a guess I have a feeling in my waters that the front shocks were black in colour (damn auto correct). Haven't come across a clear enough image on the web.

I've seen BOGE in parts manuals as OE. There were other brands which I can't think off. I'll have a look and post them later.

PS. Kartone, your auto correct name is Martinez. Bwah hah.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

festy

Quote from: Cool Jesus on June 29, 2012, 01:24:14 PM
Thanks Festy  those rims would certainly show off any bling set ups behind the wheels.
If you're inferring that those rims look horribly out of place and don't suit an Alfetta, then yes I agree  ;D

GTVeloce

I recently pulled off a set of original Spica rear shocks from an 83 GTV. They were a light blue colour and had Alfa Romeo stamped on them.

Cool Jesus

No I wasn't going there. The rims and tyres are very lean which is what caught my eye. Rims are always a personal choice and difficult to pick in order to compliment the ride. They'd look as if there were no spokes with the car moving. Theyre a brave choice, a little too modern for an Alfetta. Although if the body was pimped up, but again it's personal choice. Just thinking of a pimped up Alfetta with all the boy racer bling is making me cringe.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

kartone

CJ, both front & rear are black with SPICA in white lettering. Unfortunately i through them out a year or so ago.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

colcol

Hey kartone, you threw the SPICA shocks out, best place for them, they were the front shocks on Alfasuds and 33's, and caused no end of trouble, they would leak from day 1, and most of the dealers replaced the SPICA's with KONI's, to get the cars through the warranty period, a long gone dealer in Melbourne, [Henly's of Camberwell], was showing me some SPICA's in the spare parts storeroom, and they were all leaking, while sitting in their boxes, i was told that SPICA, like Alfa Romeo was owned by the Italian Goverment, who wouldn't spend any money on them, and was eventually sold of into private hands, has anyone heard of them lately?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Thanks Kartone, that's what I was looking for.
Wasn't actually after the shocks themselves, sounds like they weren't much chop anyhow.
I was just after a description of what OE was for the 116 model range.

So, I wonder if the BOGEs were both burgandy/red front and back?

Does anyone have photos of the SPICA units?
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

minipete

Quote from: colcol on June 29, 2012, 08:30:41 PM
Hey kartone, you threw the SPICA shocks out, best place for them, they were the front shocks on Alfasuds and 33's, and caused no end of trouble, they would leak from day 1, and most of the dealers replaced the SPICA's with KONI's, to get the cars through the warranty period, a long gone dealer in Melbourne, [Henly's of Camberwell], was showing me some SPICA's in the spare parts storeroom, and they were all leaking, while sitting in their boxes, i was told that SPICA, like Alfa Romeo was owned by the Italian Goverment, who wouldn't spend any money on them, and was eventually sold of into private hands, has anyone heard of them lately?, Colin.

My 83 Giulietta (owned since 85) has the original Spica (black) shocks with 170,000km on them and they still work fine with no leaks.  I must have been really lucky.  Peter