1600 racing crankshafts

Started by vin sharp, June 28, 2012, 12:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vin sharp

Having several high value 1600 (nord) based engines for customers to rebuild for racing, and having found more than 50% of the 1600 crankshafts inspected either cracked or badly worn, the decision to make a limited run of high quality, lightweight fully counter-weighted GTA Corsa spec crankshafts has been made.
This will eliminate the original problem of the too small BE journal radius and soft material that promotes the problems in the first place, and the risk of using fatigue accumulated 40 year old cranks. Note these are only generally  problems in racing circumstances, in period the crack-test checks for such use  being recommended very frequently.
These cranks will be fully made locally with first-hand control over all design and processes involved, and will not involve subsidising UK/European economies (or Chinese for that matter!).
Anybody interested can contact me PACE Eng, on 03 98440147 or vsharp@hotkey.net.au
regards,
Vin Sharp.

bonkfrog

Noice.
Years ago, I had an engineering student who drew up specifications for a 1600 crankshaft, to be machined from a billet. Of course, I never did anything about it - the cost would have been horrendous for a one-off!
The Club is lucky to have Vin to undertake such a project so as to keep those sweet 1600 engines racing. I hope it gets off the ground. Well done!

Bonkfrog
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI