Salespeed to std manual

Started by JAM87, July 15, 2012, 10:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAM87

Hi all,

Just a quick (hopefully not to silly)

There are alot a low kms salespeed 156's out there at bargain prices. The only issue for me is the potential issues with the gear box.

Can you actually change the gearbox to a  standard manual gearbox, and if so, how much do you think it would cost?

Thanks all,
2001 Alfa Spider V6, 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2L V6, 2012 Abarth 500,

colcol

It is possible to do it, but it would be a job that would go on forever, just buy a manual, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

tony8028

Of course there are lots of cheap selespeeds available, because anyone who has done even the most basic research on these cars wouldnt touch them.

(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual

wankski

Hi - i just posted this in the selespeed thread - but i'll repost it here as it's on point:

a few things here:

if the GTA over the w/e was running and in good nick, EPIC BUY OF THE CENTURY!

the GTA 6 speed sele is NOTHING like the std 5 speed. It is by all accounts a competent and reliable system, with a few parts shared with the f1 system in ferraris.

Sele to Manual conversion.

Not generally economically viable in Australia. While these have been done in the UK, parts are very cheap there and they have a healthy DIY attitude due to the fact that major repairs are worth more than their VAT & taxed cars...

While the sele is a synchro mesh design similar to a std manual, it is NOT a manual box. You cannot rip off the actuator and plumb in a std one. Different gearboxes. (evidence by external and internal slave differences) - add to the cost lifting a pedal box and fitting from a std manual and you're talking expensive... gearboxes here ain't cheap either. for every bargain sele, you can find an early 147 or 156 for not much more - so it makes not much sense...

JMO.

as to cost - you can go ahead and replace the entire actuator with a NEW not reco one from Ebspares UK for only around 800 quid. let's say 1500AUD all in. and that is indeed worst case senario. apart from that only the pump is left - and that's about 400 new from o/s or $200 for a local reco. By the way there are cheaper places if you search than EBspares...

again, that is meltdown scenario - and as mentioned here, you can repair and replace parts on these, fairly cheaply... i'd say fuse/relay, pump and actuator are by far the most replaced items, but even the electrovalves can be replaced! (around 80 quid each - there are three)

- in my view seles can be a great buy if you like them and you're prepared to use alfadiag or fiatecuscan and keep on top of things.

HTHs

tony8028

You might want to check out this guys video account of owning a 156 Selespeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0njJ5hmU9D4
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual

Steve S

If you had a spare manual car for all the manual parts I would concider it. I would not concider paying someone to do it though, too many hours of work.

colcol

The Selespeeds are a bit cheaper than a much sought after manual, but just wait, a manual will pop up, i found when i purchased my 156, that 90% were Selespeeds, the bloke on youtube should have done his homework, looked at forums, spoken to owners, to get the full picture, asking a dealer who is trying to sell you one, "have you had any trouble with these?", you are asking for trouble, buy a manual, the gearchanging adds to the fun, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]