K&N Filter with cold air intake system

Started by krysRAW = AROCA-Vic PR =, September 17, 2012, 01:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Can you imagine the amount of time and money Alfa Romeo-Fiat Engineers would spend trying to eek out power and fuel economy and long life out of their engines, and a backyarder comes along and ses this product will do this and do that, usually there is a very good reason things are done like that, regarding the air cleaners, as Joe said, if the air flows quicker thru an air cleaner, then the pores are bigger, and are not trapping dangerous grit, if you want less restriction and more power, then get a nail and bang a few holes in the air cleaner element, i remember back in the days shortly after the invention of electricity, when i was young and working on cars from the 50's, and they had oil bath air cleaners, that the grit used to get trapped in the oil, i used to hate cleaning them, it was a messy dirty job, and i was so happy when they were superceded by paper element air cleaners, that used to take about 10% of the time that oilys took to change, and there were no Mass Air Flows to ruin, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Bwah hah wanski, no tears just yet. All good points of view from col and wanski, actually one of the better methods to improve breathing is to use a system from an uprated or larger capacity vehicle as wanski suggested, it avoids chopping and cutting up bits from the car. Totally agree with col too, There's a lot of R&D by big manufacturers and coupled with Alfa's racing background. Mind you they are also swayed by greener governments and manufacture to the political markets on emissions restrictions. The air filter is the least resrictive componant in the air intake system as it is, I just like the fact that its reusable, if it adds an induction growl to the beast, even better. Many just like to tinker and learn a little on the way and start up great little threads on it aswell.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS