What oil do you use on your 156 (pre facelift 2002)?

Started by daniel270991, July 16, 2012, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel270991

Pretty standard question but I thought experience is best here!

I have used Penrite HPR5 (5w-40) Full Synthetic and I thought was a fantastic oil - but I have heard it has 'less' cleaning abilities as other oils.

Hope to hear some recommendations. I realize most 10-40 full synthetic oils are the same on paper but different in experiences!

Cheers,

Daniel

colcol

Hello Daniel, for the 156 twin spark, the oil recommended is on the radiator apron, your owners manual and under the sunvisor, it is 10-40, Penrite is a very good oil, it is made for Australian conditions, and i use it in my car, as stated, i beleive it has less detergents than other oils, so maybe use it every second oil change, Penrite, Nulon, Shell, Valvoline, Castrol, Martini, Selenia and Mobil, to name a few are all good, i have used them all, but i am not a Scientist, so i don't know which one is best, it always boils down to whats on special at Repco, Supercheap or Autobahn, then i don't have to think to much, just keep it topped up, as if it gets to 'low' and the oil light comes on, your engine will need fixing, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

Unless someone has hard data about Penrite being low on detergents (to the point there is a problem) I would take that with a grain of salt. It's also not the only thing to worry about. HPR 5 has good specifications and infact a very high TBN for such a low cost synthetic. It is also a "heavy" 40 grade which may help if its using oil. btw Alfa specified 10w40 but that was 10 years ago. A full syn 0w/5w40 is a better oil in every way and can be used.

I used the 10w40 Martini at Maranello when I had a TS.

AndrewK

I'm currently using the Penrite 5W-60 over winter and it's great.

colcol

I am using Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5-50, for the winter, its a bit thinner than the recommended 10-60, but due to Autobahn selling it for $50, its all good and change the puny undersize oil filter every oil change, small capacity would mean it would block up quick, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

Quote from: colcol on July 20, 2012, 10:03:18 PM
I am using Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5-50, for the winter, its a bit thinner than the recommended 10-60, but due to Autobahn selling it for $50, its all good and change the puny undersize oil filter every oil change, small capacity would mean it would block up quick, Colin.

M1 5w50 for $50 is a very good deal. I've never seen it that cheap. Its also a very thick oil, I would happily use it in the summer too. However last time I checked your engine took a 10w40. Was there ever a factory recomendation to use 10w60? Or is that what people use to avoid consumption?

colcol

Twin sparks use 10-40, early JTS's used 10-40, but to cut the oil consumption issues, they put a thicker oil in 10-60, my early JTS, still has the 10-40 oil viscosity on the radiator apron, you have to watch out for the oils on special, Repco vs Supercheap vs Autobahn, they all have mega specials on oil, so that they are the biggest seller of oil, so they get a good discount on oil next negotiation time, they make little profit on the oil, but make it back when they try and flog you an oil filter, don't worry about it, they would never have a JTS oil filter in stock or a twin spark or V-6, but you might fluke one for a 90-75-33-Sud-Alfetta, etc, Colin.

Steve S

10w60 is not just thicker, its a lot thicker. It's more than twice the viscosity at room temp than 10w40. I think it is a step too far outside the original spec. The 5w50 is a much better alternative but I would use a 10w40 (or 5w40) and top up as necessary.

colcol

10-60 is the recomended oil viscosity by Alfa Romeo, if you have ever drained, like i have, its not thick oil, its thin as water, it spills everywhere on the garage floor, but sure its thicker than 10-40 as used in twin sparks, but as stated its winter so i am using 5-50 Mobil 1, Colin.