Previous topic - Next topic

alfa duk

Are all alfetta driveshafts the same length? Only concerned with 2 litre
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Beatle

Driveshaft to the wheels, or the propshaft from engine to gearbox?  If the latter, the coupe is shorter than the sedan, but I think it's only in the front 'half' with the rear being the same.   I can't comment on differences between the year models though.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Alan Hopla

And if it's the rear axle shaft, there are two lengths.
Early cars have shorter shafts along with top hat spacers that bolt the rear brake disks in place.
Alan.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey

alfa duk

So does that mean that you can put the longer driveshafts on an early model by removing the top hats?
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Darryl

Not quite. Length is ok if you do that but the transaxle output shaft flanges on later, no spacer 4 cylinder 116s have M8 x 1 thread. The early ones are M10 x 1 thread (I could be wrong on exact thread - but it is fine on both - the point is they are different size). Depending on what you are trying to do (ie what transaxle you are using) that could be a feature or a bug...

V6 transaxles I've seen have M10 flanges, TS ones have M8. It could be there are yet more variations... And the output shafts themselves are in 2 diameters/splines depending on diff - the 4 cylinder open diff is smaller shaft than the LSDs / V6s.

And I'm not an expert - there may be more variations than I've seen.

Alan Hopla

I also am no expert, but recently found that my 77 GTV has the shorter axle shafts with the top hats.
As Darryl say's the output shafts on the tarnsaxle are different in at least that the mounting holes for the tophats are larger than the mounting holes on the later versions which have the axle CV bolts up to the output shaft.
Also the rear disks are different. The early ones have larger diameter holes as the disc is clamped between the optput shaft and the tophat. The later ones have the disc clamped between the output shaft and the CV joint, so have a smaller hole for the smaller bolt.

All the later (plastic bumper) 4 cyl alfetta GTV's that I have played with have used the longer shaft.
I suspect that you may be able to convert between the two system by replacing the output shaft, disc, and axle.
BUT - I have never done this myself.

Alan.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey

alfa duk

Thanks gents, i have a set of the longer driveshafts and didn't know what they came off. I knew that they had to be alfetta as that is all i stock but i don't have a late model 2 litre.
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s