Looking for sheet plastic for door trims - any advice?

Started by Evan Bottcher, July 27, 2012, 02:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Hi folks,

The inner door trims on the track car have perished beyond bothering with, so I want to replace them with something more durable.  I'm looking for some kind of thin plastic sheeting to make the trims from.  Eddie Hellsten's car (which became Brad Marshall's which became the Sutton's) had some thin black textured plastic or polycarbonate?  Very light and durable.

Anyone know where I can find a supplier in Melbs?  If not plastic, I could look for some thin aluminium sheet.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Neil Choi

Evan

I have had thoughts on door trims, be wary of any plastic you are planning on putting in your Race Car.  Flame proof being an operative.  Perhaps some 1mm Al sheet wrapped with felt or something that don't burn would be good.

Just a thought.  Began with someone telling me of using those white plastic fluted (corrugated?) cardboard thingy, then thought they burn pretty well.

Someone will know what is best.

Don't "flame" me.

Neil

alfagtv58

Try Plastics for Industry in Keysborough.  It's where I and a number of others have got our lexan windows from.  Ring Ojars (pronounced oi-ars), he's the owner and an ex-racer punting a 944 for a number of years.  Loves a chat!

Its down the road from work, I'm happy to pick it up for you.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

alfagtv58

Neil has a good point.  But not only flame, the shatter/shards that they could become in an accident is worth considering too.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Fast Eddie

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on July 27, 2012, 02:15:17 PM
Hi folks,

The inner door trims on the track car have perished beyond bothering with, so I want to replace them with something more durable.  I'm looking for some kind of thin plastic sheeting to make the trims from.  Eddie Hellsten's car (which became Brad Marshall's which became the Sutton's) had some thin black textured plastic or polycarbonate?  Very light and durable.

Anyone know where I can find a supplier in Melbs?  If not plastic, I could look for some thin aluminium sheet.

cheers,
Evan.

The stuff in the Sprint came from a mob in Tullamarine called e-plas.  it had a name like MDF even though it was not MDF. 

Not sure if it was fire-proof or shatter proof but very light and very easy to work with.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

colcol

How about a sheet of ,5mm aluminium?, it is fireproof and won't break into sharp shards and cut you if you roll over, and your limbs are flying around, with any type of plastic, you will have to convince the scrutineers it is fireproof, just don't pop rivet it on, use self tapping screws, because when your door lock fails or your window winder won't at Winton, you will have to find a drill to drill out the pop rivets, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

branko.gt

Quote from: Fast Eddie on July 27, 2012, 03:25:16 PM
Quote from: Evan Bottcher on July 27, 2012, 02:15:17 PM
Hi folks,

cheers,
Evan.

The stuff in the Sprint came from a mob in Tullamarine called e-plas.  it had a name like MDF even though it was not MDF. 

Not sure if it was fire-proof or shatter proof but very light and very easy to work with.

He means ABS  ;)

ABS is good for this as it does not shatter and and it does not burn.

Fast Eddie

Do I?

sounds about right though.  I certainly recall it was a memorable acronym.

Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

branko.gt

Quote from: Fast Eddie on July 30, 2012, 04:50:08 PM
Do I?

sounds about right though.  I certainly recall it was a memorable acronym.

I hope you do since that was the material that you put in the sprint.

At the time i went to the same place in Tullamarine and got couple of sheets of that stuff (ABS) myself.