MOTOR SYSTEM CONTROL FAILURE ????

Started by lombardi, August 06, 2012, 07:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lombardi

This niggling problem has just begun about a month ago, it does not happen all the time ,but what causes it is when i give it a bit of a rev it seems to jerk a bit and this warning appears,car is a gt 2005 jts 2ltr,is this a common problem and whats the fix.rgrds
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

wankski

you should get it checked out sooner rather than later - needs to have the code read to give us a clue...

the JTS is known to code, misfire from coils, but also to have injector issues - which should be sorted quickly to prevent damage.

check out the recommended workshops and take it from there.

In NSW i hear good things about Max Oddi, maybe speak to him?

Craig_m67

Get the codes read as Wanski says, it's the only way to really know.

How old is the cars battery ?
(because I had this in my JTD and that's what it ended up being, and yes a JTD is not a JTS)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

tony8028

I have had this warning light come on my dashboard for over a year. It just pops up every now and then without any reason.

At first i freaked out but my mechanic checked it out and said it was 'just one of those alfa things' and to not worry about it.

I also have a warning light about rear tail lights, even though they all work fine.

Alfas and electrics.....
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual

george147

I have this error pop up from time to time, and lately the fan comes on full speed thinking that it might be a thermostat issue. However if it does happen I just switch it off straight away and then wait 10 seconds turn it back on and its fine.
Current
2003 147 Manual
(Past)
1982 Alfetta GTV

wankski

i can assure you, the MSCF doesn't just come on - it's not an alfa thing. there will be a reason...

most likely a loose or frayed earth point, or weak battery can set it off intermittently and send a false code... but MSCF lights should not be coming on...

wankski

Quote from: tony8028 on August 07, 2012, 10:13:12 PM
At first i freaked out but my mechanic checked it out and said it was 'just one of those alfa things' and to not worry about it.

my advice. go to LD Doncaster for your next service - this WILL not be the response. Likely a common issue that will be sorted quickly and surely by the pros.

155 lover

this happened on my 147 GTA last year. There's a thread about it on this forum.

I had the mscf  warning and my temp gauge dropped to zero and my fans going full blast. It turned out to be a cracked water pump impellor. These were originally made of plastic and are known to fail....hence common advice to change the water pump when doing the timing belt. If it is this make sure you change the water pump to one with a metal impellor.

Good luck though mcsf warning could be lots of things.
79' Alfetta 2000
74' Spider
03' 147 GTA

lombardi

Had it checked out this morning, it was not the coil but a problem with one of the injectors,car is at the moment at FRANKS PIT STOP motors summer hill getting it replaced,about $800,00 ,including 4 hours labour,new inector is around $370,00,not cheap but what is these days,wish i had more mechanical aptitude,could takle it myself,anyhow thanks for your valuable replies,will keep u posted.rgrds
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

wankski

Quote from: wankski on August 06, 2012, 03:47:26 PM
the JTS is known to code, misfire from coils, but also to have injector issues - which should be sorted quickly to prevent damage.

good work. you cannot leave this type of fault... it can burn thru a piston!

it's not too bad a DIY job, but best get it sorted ASAP.