Fix 'n' Go ?

Started by Gotta B Red, August 05, 2012, 02:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

There are some 156 toolkits on ebay that include scissor jack, brace for wheel bolts that fit into the recess of the space saver tyre, the jacks have a radiused bit that fits the knob under the car thats the jacking point, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Gotta B Red

Thanks Colin, your a gem. Initially couldn't find any Toolkits on ebay here in Oz, But there were a few on the ebay GB site.
As the sellers didn't offer international postage I've squeezed off a couple of emails to ask if they might reconsider.
We'll see what happens.
Cheers,
Andy

colcol

I saw 2 on the 156 ebay site last night, one is in South Australia for one dollar, but when you look, its one of those shifty wheel bolt auctions, wouldn't pay more than $100 myself, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

my issue with a space saver is what you gunna do if your front flats?

sure in theory you can swap a rear wheel to the front and use the SS on the rear - total pain - now - on the side of the road you are swapping out TWO wheels. fantastic....

You'd be surprised how well sealants work... they do....

the only thing i would be worried about is a really large nail or screw puncturing the carcass, and it being too big for the sealant...

in that case you can perform a road side plug repair... it's very easy if you have experience.. the kits are very cheap now.. and compact - maybe $15 tops on ebay... i only have experience with the simple glue and wick method, but there are now many credible easy to use mushroom plug designs on the DIY market....

otherwise any small and not easy to see leaks will be easily handled by the sealant...

the one that will knock out any tire is a real big nail that gets flicked up in such a way that it goes clean thru the crown of the tire and exits out the side wall. unlucky...

in this case - leave the object in there - with pliers turn off the pointy end to secure it and to remove the sharp edge...fill tire with sealant - the nail will actually ensure a good seal - if you have a compressor you can top off no worries...

obviously, turn off to the nearest tire shop and replace that tyre... it's done. sure expensive, as many shops will insist on replacing tires in axle pairs - but yer - sheet happens.

otherwise for non-sidewall punctures - an internal plug+patch combo repair is the best way IMHO for a permanent repair.. any tire shop can do it..

for me, for a GT unless i lived in the sticks - i wouldn't bother with a spare.. everything you need can fit a small case say 35x25x12cm... strategically placed of course ;)  anything major - that's why you have RACV roadside assist... better than getting cleaned up on the side of the road.. tires and saving a few bob be damned.

anyways - happy hunting - i'm sure you'll come up with a system that suits you!

colcol

All this talk about space savers and punctures got me thinking, now i have a can of puncture repair, a miniture compressor and a puncture repair kit, and it all fits in the spare wheel well on the 156, the can sits between the space saver and the back of the well on the left, the mini compressor sits between the wheel and the well on the right side at the back, and the puncture repair kit sits in the Alfa Romeo tool kit that sits on top of the wheel, i purchased the puncture kit for $20 and the compressor for $22, at Supercheap, would use the puncture repair kit on the full size tyre, before the pressure pack can and use the pressure pack before using the space saver, i checked the compressor before putting in the boot and it works, the puncture repair kit comes in a box, which is good as it won't all fall out, it has 4 schrader valves, schrader valve remover/replacer tool, glue, about 8 patches, 3 bits of rubber 'string' to put in the place of a nail, hand reamer to clean out puncture, puncture repair inserting tool, valve extensions [why?], and 4 valve caps, hopefully never find out how to use it, also enough room in wheel well for jumper leads for when tacho shorts out and drains battery, Colin.

L4OMEO

Good work. You obviously went to all the Boy Scout meetings I missed  ;).

Post a pic of it all in place Colin?

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

colcol

Hey Rory, i can barely operate a computer, as for putting pictures on the internet....., trust me it all fits, Alfa did a nice job on that lift out tool kit, the way it all fits and clicks into place, Colin.

ChrisGTA

My first flat in over 15 years today...

Worth noting that the GTA space-saver comes with it's own wheelbolts (longer shanks than standard).

colcol

And it looks like it was raining, as it does for all breakdowns, what was it, nail or self tapper?, everything work ok?, should try changing mine one day, to see that it all works, one of my Alfa mates had a flat in his Alfa, and couldn't undo the wheel, cause the tyre place had done up the wheel with a air gun, and he had the wrong wheel brace, he needed 17mm, but had Dads 19mm brace, marked 'Toyota', oh what a feeling, Colin.