Aftermarket Gauges?

Started by Beatle, August 11, 2012, 08:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

Hypothetically,.............. if I wanted to completely redesign / build my dashboard where would I source matching aftermarket gauges?

I'm thinking old-fashioned round faced instruments, probably white on black, with no enormous brand marked on the face, no blue or pink backlights, just clear and accurate dials.

Years ago I used Smiths gauges in a project, but what is todays equivalent?

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Alan Hopla

Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey

colcol

Quite a good range of chrome bezelled instruments on ebay, about 1 year ago, i went looking for a voltmeter, and was surprised by the amount i saw, the backlights  are usually clear, but you are usually supplied with a number of coloured little condoms to slip over the globes to change the colour, if i remember rightly, Smiths instruments were part of British Leyland, and in my youth, we used to avoid them like, er um by British Leyland cars, they must have sold off Smiths, because they are still going, unlike Leyland, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

agent86

Hi Paul,
          For an excellent set of gauges try an Auto elec that stocks VDO. They come in the classic white on black and they have all the connections to make an easy fit (at both ends). They also have some exotic type dials for a different look, vintage style or over the top.
Cheers
Mark aka Agent 86
Current Alfa's/etc
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 Tropical Green
2003 BMW 320i Touring
Priors
1974 Piper Yellow Berlina 2000 
1970 Red Berlina 1750 won best Alfa sedan at 2007 Auto Italia ACT
1968 Burgundy Berlina Mk1
1970 Navy Berlina
1970 White Berlina
1968 White Berlina Mk1 full Webasto roof

McAnnik

Hi All, and others, for the best selection of aftermarket gauges on the planet, Google up "egauges" in the US. They have every instrument and more available including VDO complete range. I don't recollect seeing Smiths ,Particulaly the double faced oil pres/water temp gauge famous in MGs but the range includes some quite authentic looking stuff.I have purchased from them, no problems with delivery or packaging, USPS the go. While your browsing, the same company has a parallel company called "eshocks",...guess what they sell!!   Koni's and Bilsteins the go there! their discount price is very good and even with air freight you can save a small fortune with their deals.....................Cheers.... Ian

Duk

If you are prepared to go purely electronic gauges, check out http://www.speedhut.com/. I really like the idea of stepper motor gauges, especially for speedo and tacho.