Fire extinguisher check and replacement

Started by Sir Lancelot, August 13, 2012, 11:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Lancelot

Hi, I've got an old fire extinguisher from trackdays that is now over 5 years old. It's actually 9 years old. I'm leaving this one around the SPAM, but I would also like to get it pressure tested. Problem is, I can't seem to find any good detail as to where to take it at a reasonable price (if such a thing exists). As I understand it, some places may charge up to $80 to get it pressure tested and refilled, and I can buy 3 extinguishers for that price. Does anyone have recommendations as to a good place to refill / buy new? Here's the extinguisher in question:

- White band
- 2003 date stamp
- 1kg powder stored pressure

Thanks!

Beatle

It should have a gauge on it and if it's in the green, then the pressure is OK.  However, the contents can settle and compact so it's a good idea to hold it up and give it a few taps with a rubber mallet.  Invert it and roll it around so any compacted product is loosened up.

For those in the vehicle, you should do this regularly and if possible, rotate the extinguisher every couple of months so it's not always in the same orientation (if lying on it's side).  If your ext is mounted vertically, take it out regularly, invert and tap.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

colcol

They are so cheap now, just go and buy a new one, i used to stuff around with my old one, driving miles out of my way, getting it pressure tested and filled, picking it up a week later, go to Repco, Supercheap, Autobahn, Bunnings, Masters, etc and get the one with a steel bracket and the right size that suits your car, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sheldon McIntosh

Where do you throw out the old one though?  Is it legal to put a pressurised container in the rubbish?

Neil Choi

The white powder is only bicarb so have a party with it in the backyard and practice putting out a fire.  Or take it to your local waste disposal or fire station.

In fact it is a good note to practice, putting out a car fire under hood could be dangerous and tricky.

Beatle

Quote from: Neil Choi on August 13, 2012, 07:44:01 PM
The white powder is only bicarb

Sure Neil.  Try telling that to the cops........ ;)

Seriously though, it is a good experience to try using a 1kg extinguisher on a fire in a controlled environment.  It will open your eyes to how useless it can be unless you get to the fire in the initial few seconds.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Sir Lancelot

haha!
I think Niel does have a very good point. I was unfortunate enough to see an engine fire, and i think it took 2-3 of those big fire extinguishers to put it out... so I don't imagine the 1kg bottle will do much unless the fire is small. But, hopefully I'll not be seeing big fires in the SPAM!

The marker is still very much in the green, so I think i'll rotate it for a while, knock it gently and leave it in the SPAM until I get another - sounds like it's not worth getting checked / refilled.

So worst case, is the thing just doesn't work properly as it's been sitting in the one position for years?

colcol

In the olden days at club sprints we used to tell the drivers, while they were lining up to have their cars scrutineered, to take their fire extinguishers out and and shake em up, as the powder packs tightly down the bottom and won't come out when its needed, i used to love the look on their faces when i asked them have they taken it out this morning and given it a good shake, about a million years ago in the 80's at the Adelaide G.P., the late Ayrton Senna was upset with fire marshalls when they put his burning Mc Claren out with powder extingushers, rather than the much better illegal gas ones, the marshalls explained that the powder ones were more ozone safe and the gas ones were only for life threatening situations only, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]