156 JTS and Keypad starter disable unit

Started by krysRAW = AROCA-Vic PR =, August 16, 2012, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krysRAW = AROCA-Vic PR =

Hi guys!

Hopefully this hasn't been posted else where and if so, apologies.

I've just recently entered the brilliant world of Alfa Romeo with my recent purchase of a 156 JTS 2.0L 5 speed manual. Love love love my car.

I'm actually thinking of installing a keypad starter disable unit, which means the driver would have to enter a code to engage the starter engine. The link below is the unit in question:

http://www.asianwolf.com/car-alarm-smartkpl.html

As much as this would add extra security to my car, not to mention that it would be a cool little gadget, I'm worried that it might interfere with coded key system that is already built into the car or the engine management system for that matter.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter, whether it's safe or not to install this unit in a 156 JTS?

Thanks in advance.   
2004 156 JTS 2.0 5-Spd Manual

MODS:
Tint
Stance SC7 19x8.5 Rims
Custom Sport Exhaust
Custom 90mm Cold Air Intake
SAAS Pod Filter
Wheel guards Rolled & Pumped
BC Adjustable BR(RS) coilovers
Front Tower Strut Brace
3" intake pipe

Cool Jesus

Krys looks like a cool little gadget. At a glance I think you'll be fine to install it. Most aftermarket anti theft devices usually work in conjunction with OEM alarms and locks. Be ware of units that require removal and only have professional install with those. Considering the price and size, the keypad looks like a very fancy kill switch. That is it won't supply power to the ignition, starter, distributor or other device thast requires power to crank or fire up the engine until you punch in your PIN. As long as you connect the right wires and it floats your boat, go your hardest. Anything that adds time to a wouldbe car rustler will make them think twice. For a dollar you can also place GPS tracking warning stickers on your motor and no one would be non the wiser if it is or isn't installed. Found my stickers on eBay. Only I do have GPS tracking on my Alfas. They were only a $100 too, and full of functions. Make sure you post an install thread if you go ahead with it.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

wankski

don't bother.

the transponder key code system in your alfa is secure. so secure that if you lose your keys, all your keys, you're in trouble...

big $$ to recode at the dealer.

colcol

I had a freind who had one on his WRX, the insurance companies made Subaru fit them in Australia, as so many were being stolen, the keypad drove him mad, everytime he got in the car he had to type a number in, he used to go to the newsagent in the morning and leave his car running, rather than use the stupid keypad, insurance companies wil tell you that new cars are almost impossible to steal, but the keys are not, so the car thieves break into houses to steal the car keys, keep your car keys hidden or on you at work and your car should remain with you, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]