Anyone ever bought a blood pressure monitor?

Started by Evan Bottcher, August 15, 2012, 08:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Random question - anyone every bought a digital blood pressure machine (sphygmomanometer)?  Recommendations?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Dna Dave

Yep,

Omrom HEM 7200, I paid $99 from the local chemist, it's been very good, there is a better model for a bit extra, but it's the same, just more memory.

Cheers

David
1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

Joe Garra

As a GP my advice is to take it with you to a visit and get him or her to check it with their BP machine. Most of us GPs have had our machines calibrated regularly. I've been surprised how accurate the home monitors are, and for some patients who always have a higher BP when they see me, I now rely on their home machine.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Gotta B Red

In any and all individuals Blood Pressure varies from second to second.
Subtle and or small changes in BP are insignificant, gross change is noteworthy.
Any machine on the market today is capable when used correctly of detecting gross change ..... all that's needed.
Regarding calibration it's dependent on what it's being calibrated against and the inherent accuracy of that device.
Again minor variation is to be expected and is also insignificant.
There is no substitute for good science or more's the point good scientific method in order to remove or reduce operator variance.
So it's possiblle to buy a modestly priced device and record accurately trends and variation in BP that are no less valid than if a device costing twice as much were used.
In short a large portion of variance in devices is not the devices themselves but the operators of such devices and can be almost eliminated with good and consistent technique, applied in the same way each and every time .....  good science.
Cheers,
Andy 

Feigh Bottcher

Thanks all, thanks Evan! I'm sure you'll (Evan) want a few extra bells and whistles for when you play with it ;-) Since when has a club racer been happy with "standard"?! (Just a couple of tweeks... only one or two...) 

Te he.