New Refrigerant in 2013

Started by colcol, August 20, 2012, 09:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

There is a new Automotive Refrigerant being phased in 2013, it is called 1234yf, it will replace the current R-134, which has been in use since 1990, which replaced R12 which was really bad for the ozone layer, the new 1234yf has a global warming potential of 335 times less than the current R134, and an atmospheric lifetime 400 times shorter than R134, from what i can gather it is almost a 'drop in' replacement for R134, the new refrigerant will be more expensive than the current gas, and repair shops will need new charging, evacuating and recycling equipment, General motors announced in 2010 that Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadilac models in 2013, would have the new gas, a number of European makers have announced similar time frames, for we motorists it looks like it will cost more to service our airconditioners, but looks like there will be no retrofit expenses that happened in 1990 when we went from R12 to R134, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

GTVeloce

The other alternative is hydrocarbons. I have bought two cans of this stuff;
http://www.hychill.com.au/products/
and will be putting it into both my 75 and the GTV, both of which currently run R134a. The good thing is I can actually do this myself and save a few bob. That said you still need access to tools but you can buy the gas in cans that are just the right six for the 75 from Bursons - no permits required. And it is quite cheap.

colcol

I used that HYCHILL stuff in my 33 and it was rubbish, ended up using Repla 134, that i bought off Ebay, worked a treat, most of the proper R12 and R134 on Ebay, won't be sold to you unless you have a E.P.A. refrigerant licence, some of the alternates work good, HYCHILL didn't, but it worked good in a 75, some of the gas charge kits you buy off Ebay have Do It Yourself D.V.D.'s  with them, only problem with D.I.Y., is that you need to vacumn it down to -30 pounds to boil all the moisture out, otherwise your TX valve will freeze up, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Stuart Thomson

Just a word of warning on R134a off the Internet.  There is fake R134a originating from SE Asia or China which is contaminated with R40.  R40 (chloromethane) is a toxic flammable gas which when in contact with Aluminium forms trimethylaluminium, a PRYROPHORIC (spontaneously combustible on contact with air or water) compound.  There have been fatalities attributed to this stuff in the refrigerated shipping container industry.

BOC supplied R134a in Australia is tested, but the forgeries are complete with fake labels as well.

I'm not sure I would be buying R134a from anyone other than a reputable dealer at the moment.

Cheers
Stuart

colcol

Correct, Stuart, nobody will be buying any R134 from anywhere, unless they have an EPA licence, all the dodgy 'regass for $80' places would be using the fake R134, and another thing, apart from the exploding and catching fire danger, the chemicals can interact with the metals and oils in the aircon systems and cause corrosion, whenever your car is regassed, find out if they are licenced, if not walk away, Colin.

scuzzyGTV

post carbon tax you'll be lucky to get a 'cheap' re-gas for under $300, as refrigerants went up in cost between 200 & 500%.

pre-charged commercail split airconditioning units are increasing in price by 5-10% because of refrigerant prices.

i also can't advocate people DIYing AC, but maybe that's just 'cause it's the industry i work in...
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

colcol

You don't work in a dodgy area like i do!, little backyard factorys, with signs out the front "regass for $80", that is $30 for gas off ebay and 10 minutes work, some people i know have it done, and their airconditioners blow cold air, $300 would be proper job done, with real R134, 20 years ago a pound of R12 gas was $7, and you didn't have to be licenced, and you could buy it from Repco, Colin.

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: colcol on August 28, 2012, 08:40:08 PM
You don't work in a dodgy area like i do!, little backyard factorys, with signs out the front "regass for $80", that is $30 for gas off ebay and 10 minutes work, some people i know have it done, and their airconditioners blow cold air, $300 would be proper job done, with real R134, 20 years ago a pound of R12 gas was $7, and you didn't have to be licenced, and you could buy it from Repco, Colin.
... and we had an Ozone layer ...